How does your school handle results talk?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
JGBallard

How does your school handle results talk?

Post by JGBallard »

This week most of us if not all of us will have results coming through. At my DDs school some children have already received results for other schools and there has been some gloating by parents and children. Some insist on asking all other children they know took the exams whether they got in. I know this will be intensified this week ..am tempted to arm my DD with various responses which somehow put it across that she doesn't want to talk about the results and infact doesn't think it is very nice for children who don't get in. She has been lucky enough to have received an offer from the one she wants....but she will still get other results. I would think the school would speak to the children about ths beforehand but doesn't seem they do....any similar experiences??
Ellie

Re: How does your school handle results talk?

Post by Ellie »

For most families receiving offers from their schools of choice is a mixture of tremendous relief and absolute pride. In those circumstances a little gloating should be forgiven particularly as the novelty will wear off soon enough.

Some children may not get into their first school of choice and at dd's school, (last year) the teachers asked parents not to dwell on disappointing results, but to celebrate all that their child had achieved. I would not arm dc with prepared responses because most children move on very quickly from the results. My 4 dd's spent precisely one day grinning from ear to ear and after that any talk of their new schools was mildly irritating for them. Furthermore, their school did not mention school allocation to the children after that first day.
Pushy Dad

Re: How does your school handle results talk?

Post by Pushy Dad »

My son (he goes to a state primary) received a scholarship offer from Habs Boys on Saturday. He is under strict instructions not to tell his schoolmates. He is also under strict instructions not to say why his mum and I don't want him to go to the nearby state schools that his mates are going to.

Playground mums can be very sensitive about the subject so we avoid it totally by not volunteering any comments.