Year 1 maths

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
guest201

Year 1 maths

Post by guest201 »

I need a bit of advice from you guys, my y1 de is quite good at maths and enjoys working at home. He has done the Carol vordeman books, the no nonsense book and a couple of schofield and sims and I don't know what to do with him now. I don't want to give him books aimed at y2. Does anyone know any books that would be suitable? Thanks
mystery

Re: Year 1 maths

Post by mystery »

If this were my child, and he sounds a million miles different as I would have the books but they would sit there unused for ever after a battle on page 1, I'd find maths puzzles and games that were within his ken if you are not wanting to move on through the KS1 syllabus. Maybe try the nrich website.

As for not moving on through the syllabus, that's your personal choice. I would as I have the feeling that our school is not going to cover sufficient material to enable level 3s at the end of year 2, so if I had an amenable and quick child I'd bash on through more of the syllabus at home and start to cover level 3 material.

You could try the Target Maths series, and Level Up series if you did decide to go for a bit more syllabus coverage. They look more appealing than Schofield and Sims, and it's clearer what you are covering and why.
guest201

Post by guest201 »

Thanks mystery, I will take a look at the books you suggested.
doodles

Post by doodles »

How about some games instead of straight maths books. DS2 loves Rummikub and Triominos - just a bit of a different way of having fun with numbers. In yr 1 I just wanted DS to be comfortable with numbers and manipulating them.

Have fun.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I realised during 11 plus prep that knowing number facts and all that entails is so important...the children really need to know their tables, mental maths etc inside out and if your child is showing a flair for maths then now is a good time to reinforce this....maybe try number games as Doodles suggests...there are lots of fun websites too ( well, not my idea of fun but my dc seem to like them !) You want to keep it interesting and not put your child off though.I use the level up books...they are nice , clear and bright.....they seem to have helped my ds in year 4..his maths has really come on and he has jumped up into the next level ( although he might have done anyway ) try looking in Waterstones, they have lots of different types of books, some little 5 minute ones...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now