Have we got a good Kent test appeal case?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

veryupsetmum

Have we got a good Kent test appeal case?

Post by veryupsetmum »

My DD took the Kent test (11 plus) in September and failed. These were her scores:
VR: 140 (pass)
NVR: 117 (pass)
Maths: 106 (fail)
Of course, both me, my husband and DD were very dissapointed.
Her math is currently 4a, and her literacy 5a. Her reading (and spelling, I think) are 14 years and 8 months.
She has an expected 5b/5c for math and a 6c/6b for literacy. We both know her math is not perfect, but hey? No-ones good at everything.
At the beginning of year 5 her math was level 3a, during the middle she got 4c and stayed like this until the end of year 5.
Over the holidays I really pushed her at her maths, and it payed off. She is now 4a!

Unfortunately, she was sick on both days of the Kent Test and went home after the test on the first day and stayed on the second.
During the math test her tooth fell out! DD decided not to make a fuss and carried on as she was a bit behind time.
The teacher present at the time knows about this.
However, when we asked her if she could be a witness for our appeal she said she didn't remember DD being sick and her tooth falling out!
I did call the school that morning to tell them she was sick. Would that be enough proof?
Later, a girl (sitting behind her) broke down in tears and loudly saying, "I can't do it!"
DD stated this disconcentrated her.
Is this a good enough appeal case?
Because, I do think there was a big improvement in her math.
I know no-one can really answer this, but do you think the appeal will be succsessful?
T12ACY

Re: Have we got a good Kent test appeal case?

Post by T12ACY »

The answer is that if you want to appeal you have to put together the best case you possibly can. Reading the feedback and Q & A's is a massive help should you decide to go ahead.

Much depends on the school you will appeal to for a place and also what other evidence of ability you can source. For example CAT's. Did the HT lodge an appeal on your behalf? If so they obviously think DD should have passed, if not it is certainly considered a help if your school will support you. Speak to the Head Teacher and ask if they consider DD is suitable for a selective education and if they will support an appeal. If the answer is no, while it isn't what you want to hear it may help you to decide if to go ahead.

Am not wanting to appear negative, I was told we had a mountain to climb and while it was a long slog we did it after a detour along the way! The scores do not mean it is impossible, you just have to have a very strong case.

Good luck :D
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

As Tracy will testify, careful preparation is needed - and it starts with a lot of reading! :)
See:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looking at some of the specific points:
veryupsetmum wrote: Unfortunately, she was sick on both days of the Kent Test and went home after the test on the first day and stayed on the second.
The assumption will be that, if you decided she was well enough to attend school, she was well enough to take the test. Usually the only exception is if she became unexpectedly ill during the test. [Expect to be 'grilled' about this!]
The teacher present at the time knows about this.
However, when we asked her if she could be a witness for our appeal she said she didn't remember DD being sick and her tooth falling out!
I did call the school that morning to tell them she was sick. Would that be enough proof?
Which morning? Does the school have a record of what was said on both sides? [These are the sort of questions that will be asked at an appeal.]
Later, a girl (sitting behind her) broke down in tears and loudly saying, "I can't do it!"
DD stated this disconcentrated her.
Can the school confirm whether the invigilator noted this disturbance and how long it lasted?
I do think there was a big improvement in her math.
Is the school willing to write about a "big improvement"?
Is this a good enough appeal case?
I know no-one can really answer this, but do you think the appeal will be succsessful?
Only your particular appeal panel can answer that question, but appeals tend to be evidence-based, and at the moment I would have thought there may not be enough evidence.

As far as academic evidence is concerned, it helps to have as many indicators as possible of very high ability.
See:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If the school is oversubscribed, you will also have to put forward valid reasons for wanting/needing a place at the particular school.
See:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... bed-school" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

We did appeal ( in EAST Kent) with a similar situation from a scores point of view. ( 120,120, 109 in maths) She showed a vast improvement in year 6, in maths in particular. by the time we went to appeal in June she was a 5b. Our school was very supportive, and we had a disasterous Ofsed report as ammunition. The HT threw in all sorts of things I was unaware of :shock: distubtive child in year 5, etc.

As T12ACEY says, if you feel you have a good case you have to try, even if you are unsuccessful. Then you know you did everything and there will be no what if.
It is a very stressful process, but it was one we felt we had to go through.

Which schools are you appealing to?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now