Mixed Bag- Help

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
nia1999

Mixed Bag- Help

Post by nia1999 »

Hi all

Hope everyone in good spirits ..we got the email around 5 30 which revealed a mixed bag to be honest ..We got out third choice school which is a decent grammar in Bucks but DD upset she didnt make the other WGGS or HBS ....Even though I did my research and put the schools in the order I wanted I,m thinking that maybe I should have put WGGS first as the neighbours DD opposite got a place there as she named it first ? Can anyone clarify was it a mistake on my part or did DD just not well enough ? Also what is the procedure tomorrow in order for me to get her name on the waiting lists for HBS & WGGS ? Will they reveal scores to parents ?

Any help especially from moderators would be welcome ...

Nia1999
busybeenfun

Re: Mixed Bag- Help

Post by busybeenfun »

Firstly many congratulations to your DD on passing her 11+ and securing a place at a Bucks Grammar - no mean feat.

The schools do not know where you have ranked them so if she has not been offered a place it is because she did not achieve a high enough score (if you are out of the inner catchment area then the entry score for WGSG is very high). It will have made no difference if you had put WGSG ranked 1st or 2nd.

You should be able to find out her score and her position on the waiting list. All the schools do things differently, but we got a letter last year from our higher ranked school (SCD; for which we were not successful) informing us of the score and the position on the CI list. You are automatically placed on the continued interest list for higher ranked schools. You do not need to do anything. You only need to take any action if you wish to be removed from one of these lists.

Which Grammar has your DD been allocated in Bucks? I was a Bucks girl before moving to Herts.

BBF
l33na

Post by l33na »

I'm in a dilemma too. Is it true I don't have to call the school put dd on continued interest list for my first choice?
nia1999

Post by nia1999 »

Busybeenfun

Thanks for your reply. DD got a place at Chesham Grammar school .So basically I dont have to take any action for staying on the list for WGGS ? Will they tell me how much she missed out by ?

Thanks

Nia1999
WP

Post by WP »

Nia1999, putting HBS first didn't disadvantage your WG application in any way; you just mustn't have reached their cutoff score. You need to find out what you score was and the lowest score allocated a place. The school will supply that if you ask in writing. Then depending on how close you are, you might wish to stay on the waiting list, or change your preferences to another school, say Rickmansworth, Queens' or Clement Danes, but that depends on how you feel about them compared with Chesham Grammar.
nia1999

Post by nia1999 »

WP

Thanks for your reply .We are on waiting list for both WGGS and SCD .I will write to the school to find out .

Nia1999
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now