Any parent whoose child attends WGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jewel

Any parent whoose child attends WGS

Post by jewel »

Hi
My son has been offered a place at wolverhampton grammer school. :D I would appreciate if anyone had any views about this school. We did go to the school one morning as we missed the official opening day. We were very impressed with the head teacher. Thankyou.
Jewel
resmum

Re: Any parent whoose child attends WGS

Post by resmum »

I don't have a child at this school but it was our backup choice if our children failed to get into state grammar schools. I think of the 3 private secondary schools in Wolverhampton, the Grammar is considered the most academic. Head was formerly at Camp Hill school for boys in B'ham, one of the top state grammars. .

Most people I know with a child at the school are happy with their choice. The previous head was very keen on music so that side of the school was very well developed. May not suit a child who is very sporty, though I believe the head is trying to develop that side of things.

The school has been quite creative in finding ways to pull in pupils after the assisted places scheme finished, with its program for dyslexic students and the Big Six which is very popular. Pupils age 7 and up will be able to enter the school from this September which suggests it is thriving despite the recession.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I know it is all marketing but I think the website is very interesting and clear too! The opening of the junior school is impressive too.
jewel

Post by jewel »

Thankyou very much for your replies it is a worry when you are trying to sort out where best for your child to go. At the moment I am on tender hooks for the results as we have put down queen mary boys but we dont know whether he will get in until March 1st. We live in Sandwell so our choice of lea schools is not the best choice.
Jewel
Hecate

Post by Hecate »

My son is currently in Yr 10 at WGS. As we are located too far away to consider the Grammar schools this was the best choice we felt for him. As mentioned above the school is very into music but lacking in some sports however they do seem to be trying to address this - football is very popular and focussed on, rugby not so much which is a shame for the lads who enjoy it. It is very academic and they do push your child to acheive the best however they also have plenty of extra curricular activities.
Recently had a news letter to say that * 70% of GCSE's in 2010 were passed at A*/A grade and at A Level the Government’s value added measure put WGS in the top 5% of schools and colleges nationally (* copied from newsletter)
I feel that my son has benefitted from the school as he has a confidence that I am not sure he would have had at the local comp, but he has also had to develop a thick skin as they are not backwards in coming forwards to tell him when he is not acheiving to the best of his abilities (not a bad thing for my son as he sometimes needs that push to put a bit more effort in).
We are however considering another 6th form, probably a 6th form college, not due to the teaching but that I feel that quite a small 6th form at WGS where they are still treated as though they are "at school" and a larger 6th form where they are having to learn to manage their own time, be there when needed etc may be a better stepping stone to uni.
I think that if you are looking for a Grammar education and are not able to get one through a state school then WGS is probably the best in this area.
jewel

Post by jewel »

Thankyou very much for taking the time to reply it is very useful to have a parents perspective on it. I now need 1st march to come and then we can make a decision on what to do. Jewel.
sujatha

Post by sujatha »

Do you know of any child in Wellington area of Telford going to WGS ? I would like to send my son to the school but logistics is a bit of a problem. Please advise asap. Thank you
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now