Eltham College

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sonu

Eltham College

Post by sonu »

Hi all,

any comments on Eltham please, as we are seriously considering sending my boy there.
youngmum

Re: Eltham College

Post by youngmum »

I know at least five families with boys at the school and also the head of sixth form.
All of them have been full of praise regarding the school. In fact one mentioned that she will have been delighted if they took girls in the junior forms as well as she will have put her daughter in.

The families I know are very happy and content with the school and people around are full of praise of the school
sonu

Post by sonu »

thanks, youngmum.

That's great to hear. Must say I'm really impressed with the school as they have shown so much interest in my boy, even though he's not a pupil yet!
lefol

Post by lefol »

Well Done to your ds ! Great to hear so many positive things about this school. My ds has been offered a place too and we are seriously considering it . I hear they have to attend a weekend camp in September .
sonu

Post by sonu »

Looks like my boy is heading for Eltham College.

We were close to getting offers from Allyen's and Trinity, but they did not materialise :(

Don't know yet if he's got into St Olaves, but the Mrs and I have decided Eltham regardless. We have spoken to teachers and ex pupils they think Eltham is a better choice for him.

It's been tough getting him a place, especially because he went to a state primary and was competing against prep school kids.

Will provide feedback on his journey through Eltham, as it may help others making a decision in the future :)
lefol

Post by lefol »

Hi Sonu

My ds faced the same competition coming from a state school, but he was offered a place! It certainly has not been an easy few months. The cost of the year 7 camping trip is quite low and I am pleased. I rang to ask about the cost of exrtras and again it all seems reasonable. I trust that my ds and yours will do well there. I will have to pay fees for the next 5 to 7 years, but my ds education surely comes first. May see you soon at one of the events. Best wishes to your ds.
sonu

Post by sonu »

Went to the parent's party yesterday. Must say that most of the teachers were very keen, honest and friendly. Handed my acceptance form in.

Many admitted that grammars were just as good, but Eltham offered the extra clubs, events and pastoral care. Thought that was very honest, coming from a top Indi!
lefol

Post by lefol »

Handed in my acceptance form earlier and I feel relieved and certain I have made the right choice. Ds is thrilled and cannot stop talking about eltham. He will have to travel by bus but it is not a long journey. I did the bus route today as a test and it seems fine. Now uniforms please and rugby kits. Oh I sent the rejection form back to the LA . :roll:
sonu

Post by sonu »

lefol

would your son be using the school bus or public? - We are considering the school bus...
lefol

Post by lefol »

The school bus does not cater for
Our route so he will travel by bus or train . There are a number of travel options via eltham
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now