academic evidence

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
essex mum

academic evidence

Post by essex mum »

We are currently compiling evidence for our daughter's appeal!! The week before the 11 plus results came out she was offered an academic scholarship at an independent school, unfortunately she wasn't keen on the school and even with the scholarship we could not afford to send her there so declined the place. Do you think we should include this in our appeal pack to help with the academic evidence or is is best left out? We have backing of current school with letter from headteacher with SATS results of 5A's and B's predicted. :!: :?:
Guest120

Post by Guest120 »

I have asked another school for the test results that my child acheived when taking their test (he was offered a place). I haven't heard back from them yet, don't want to chase it but in the event they ignore my request does anyone know if I am legally entitled to it? (It is a comprehensive school that offers out of place catchment places based on a test).
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

If necessary, I would put in another request quoting the "data protection act" - to see what their response is.

Regards
Etienne
Etienne

Re: academic evidence

Post by Etienne »

essex mum wrote:We are currently compiling evidence for our daughter's appeal!! The week before the 11 plus results came out she was offered an academic scholarship at an independent school, unfortunately she wasn't keen on the school and even with the scholarship we could not afford to send her there so declined the place. Do you think we should include this in our appeal pack to help with the academic evidence or is is best left out? We have backing of current school with letter from headteacher with SATS results of 5A's and B's predicted. :!: :?:
I don't think it would do any harm.

The more prestigious the independent school, and the fiercer the competition, the more weight this would have.

Regards
Etienne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Etienne wrote:If necessary, I would put in another request quoting the "data protection act" - to see what their response is.

Regards
Hi Etienne

Forgive me querying this, but do you mean the Data Protection Act, or the Freedom of Information Act?

(Still haven't managed to tempt you onto the Addicts forum have I? I've been leaving little titbits for you to pick up everywhere. :wink: )

Best wishes
Sally-Anne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Etienne you have just edited your post while I was writing to you! I thought you meant FOI - the DPA is of course designed to achieve the exact opposite!!

However, my comments on the Addicts Section still stand!!

Sally-Anne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hi, Sally-Anne

Yes, I did mean the Data Protection Act, but my wording was a bit cautious because I had a vague recollection of a get-out clause!

Have just found a previous post on the subject of results:
Anonymous wrote:Freedom of Information Act does not apply (that Act involves, in simple terms, access to non-personal information).

The Subject Access provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA) DO apply. Put simply, this means that the "subject" of personal data held by public authorities (i.e. your child, and by extension, you) can request that that personal data be released to them.

HOWEVER, Schedule 7 of the DPA, says that the public authority does not have to release exam/test results until either five months after you have made the request, or forty days after the test results are published (whichever is earlier).
"Addicts"??? :D
Why have you been booted out of "Everything else"?
Etienne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Not 'booted out' - rather 'promoted' to our own thread -
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Etienne - you've gone back to the DPA!

I understand your reasoning though, there's a lot of "try and see" involved in the DPA and the FOI. I think it is nothing ventured, nothing gained.

As to "Eleven Plus Addicts" - they (not me - I'm just one of the latecomers!) have created a whole new dimension on the forum. "A place to empathise". I think it is quite a nice place to be (in moderation!) if your child is in No Mans Land, as mine has been for the last 18 months.

Still hoping I can tempt you into the Den of Iniquity one of these days, but very glad you are still a secret viewer!

Sally-Anne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hi, Sally-Anne

I'm mystified. I haven't edited my post.

You haven't been at the Bison again, have you? :D
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now