KS3 Maths Help

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

KS3 Maths Help

Post by Guest »

Hello

My daughter started grammar schools this year. She seems to struggle a bit on maths.

Can anyone suggest some KS3 maths books to me which I can use at home to help her.
jah

Post by jah »

The important thing to remember in Maths is that there are generally several different ways of doing things. It is a question of finding out which way works for your daughter.

Workbooks are readily available, but may just repeat what has been done at school. Depending on your own level of Maths, I would recommend sitting down with your daughter and working through problems with her to find out where she is having difficulty. Once you have identified the problem, you can then make suggestions and try alternative strategies. If you are unable to do this, then write a letter to school and let them know before she gets too far behind.
HP

Post by HP »

Hi Guest,

My daughter's school uses "Impact Maths" Heinemann which is very comprehensive and has meant that we haven't needed to purchase any additional texts. ISBN 0-435-01758-6.

Can you post which area (s) your daughter has difficulty with - difficult to advise further without knowing. There are 4 areas of the maths curriculum :

Using and Applying Mathematics
Number and Algebra
Shape, Space and Measure,
Handing Data

If you're not certain as to which area needs support have a look at the BBC revision website - it is interactive and is split into sections so you can revise and test yourself too. www.bbc.co.uk/schools/ks3bitesize/maths/

Is your school covering totally new work from KS2 which is causing problems or is it the pace that is the problem rather than the complexity of the work. Usually there is an overlap with KS2 initially, how was your daughter at Primary with her maths?

Also is your daughter totally secure in knowing her tables, and the four basic methods of addition, subtraction, long division and multiplication. If not this could slow her down considerably and hamper her progress. You may need to revise some of the KS2 work rather than looking at KS3 books.

HP

KS3 Maths Help

Post by Guest »

Hi HP & Jah

Thank you both for your detailed suggestions. My daughter did well in KS2 maths, she achieved L5. However, presently the main area that she is having difficulty is in Algebra. I think she understands algebra but she is finding it difficult to keep up with the pace hence she feels she needs some help from me.

I just want to be prepared to pick her up if she has difficulty in any other areas.

Thanks
jah

Post by jah »

When my daughter started at Grammar School, we found that everything was thrown at them in the first half term. If she can keep up now, she should find that the pace slackens towards Christmas.
Meridith

Post by Meridith »

HP

Thanks for the tip on the maths book as an extra resource. Can I just check it's Heinemann Impact Maths 1R (with dolphins on the cover?)

Meridith
HP

Post by HP »

Hi,

Yes thats the one.

HP
Meridith

Post by Meridith »

Thank you!

Post by Guest »

Hi Hp,

could you enlighten on this?
Also is your daughter totally secure in knowing her tables, and the four basic methods of addition, subtraction, long division and multiplication.

What are the four basic methods of addition?
Many thanks.
HP

Post by HP »

Quote:
Also is your daughter totally secure in knowing her tables, and the four basic methods of addition, subtraction, long division and multiplication

Hi Guest, badly worded sorry :oops: should have said:

four basic functions of maths i.e. addition, subtraction, long division and multiplication.

Hope this clarifies what I meant.

HP
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now