Eleven Plus (11+) in Lancashire & Cumbria

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
LGGSmumofhope

Post by LGGSmumofhope »

Hello, it is very quiet here compared to the other area forums (fora?) So...Does that mean we keep quieter about our plans? Nobody really cares, or it's easier to get a place at Lancaster? We are relocating in July to Lancaster and although my dd will only be in year 5 we are thinking ahead.
Any tips, and also primary school recommendations would be gratefully received.
hermanmunster

Re: Newbie

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi - welcome!

We do have the occasional person on the forum applying for Lancaster - wish we had more!

We looked at it at one point but ended up in Yorkshire instead. :lol:

You say you are moving - there is quite a strict catchment for the GS and if you are outside it , it is quite difficult to get a place.... so best check the map!
Hopefully some other Lancastrians will appear soon...
Lancaster_Girls

Post by Lancaster_Girls »

Welcome

Whereabouts are you moving to - re local Primary Schools?

We live South of Lancaster, outside the catchment area but my daughter was lucky enough to gain one of the 112 places the year before last.

The catchment area covers quite a large area North of Lancaster but only extends about 5 miles South of the city.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Ta LG - I think that is the problem isn't it? A bit like Skipton - a very wonky catchment area!
LGGSmumofhope

Post by LGGSmumofhope »

I think we will be moving to Lancaster itself, so should be well within the catchment.
Is it a tough school to get into then? I have been following the Trafford forum on and off, as for a short time it looked like we were moving there.
It just seems like such a stressful time for all concerned, I'm at a loss where to start to be honest.
LGGSmumofhope

Post by LGGSmumofhope »

How is your daughter finding it then LG?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

If you are in Lancaster itself it should be fine
- as to whether it is tough to get in, if you are in catchment then it is no tougher than any other GS. They tend to take a proportion of those taking the exam - both Lancaster schools have GCSE / A level results similar to the Skipton schools and they take 28% of the catchment population.

Some GS take down to 15% but don't necessarily do much better in results :? . It depends really whether you feel your DD comes into that sort of section of the kids around her - often difficult to tell...... can you have a acht with her current teachers and see what they say?

edit - have you had a look at this helpful booklet??

http://www.lggs.org.uk/Assets/Admission ... -entry.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

some sample papers and target scores to aim at
Lancaster_Girls

Post by Lancaster_Girls »

My daughter loves it at LGGS thanks. When she took the test 2 years ago I think there were just over 260 girl's for 112. They take the top 25% and then work on the catchment area basis and results after that.

One thing to note is the test takes place in September when your daughter is in year 6. They then write to you within 2 weeks to let you know if your DD has passed/failed or is on the waiting list. As our daughter passed and we put LGGS as 1st choice we knew then that she would have a place so the letter on March 1st wasn't a big deal.

Also look on Lancaster Boys Grammar website and Clitheroe for exam papers as the 3 schools get together and set the tests - they then all hold the entrance exam on the same Saturday.

There are lots of Primary School's in Lancaster and there seem to be girl's from most of them at LGGS.

I would definately try and make an appointment and go and have a look round, I'm sure you will be impressed.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now