Who's IN and where are they Going

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

Who's IN and where are they Going

Post by Guest »

Please share your news and let's help each other in the best way we can.

Post by Guest »

KE FW
Dr Jalal

Camp Hill Boys'

Post by Dr Jalal »

My son got a place at KE VI Camp Hill. He also got a place at KES (with an Assisted Place Scholarship/Bursary), so we're facing a bit of a dilemma at to where to send him.
Dr Jalal

Post by Guest »

King Edwards Fiveways in Sept 2007.
Sayed

Post by Sayed »

Passed camp hill girls examination but put school in wrong preference order so the school are refusing to give an appeal hearing with a recent informal review from the headmistress who will oppose our case if it goes to appeal. An issue with our LEA, staffordshire holding out with their dirty stubborn tactics of refusing to allow her to attend another school besides the rubbish comp. rawlett.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Sayed

I think you got your tactics wrong.

The Camp Hill girls Head is never going to support an appeal probably simply on the basis of the transport logistics.

Camp Hill girls is about 23 miles miles from Tamworth, with a difficult rush hour journey, limited school bus service and no train service. If you drive to school you must be looking at a journey time of well over 2.5 hours per day, probably closer to 3 hours/day. In these situations the head has a duty to consider the stress of the journey on the pupil.

My recommendation would have been to try for KE Handsworth Girls on appeal - I know there are quite a few girls who go there from Sutton Coldfield and even Tamworth. There are 4 school buses that travel to school from the Streetly, Four Oaks and Tamworth area (via the green bus service)

I think you would have got into KE Handsworth Girls.

Ken
solimum2

travel to Camp Hill

Post by solimum2 »

Hi KenR / Sayed

Just on a matter of logistics, depending on how far the girl is from Tamworth station I imagine it would be feasible to catch the train to New St (7:40 getting in just before 8am for example) and then one of the many buses down the Alcester Rd towards Camp Hill.

I wouldn't have thought anyway that the school's argument against admitting another child would be on the basis of transport (after all, anyone can apply wherever they live - it's then the parents' job to work out how to get them there!) but the usual oversubscription/ overcrowding in the classroom. The best way to go might be that the parents were wrongly advised not to put Camp Hill as first preference and look for some sympathy there
Sayed

Post by Sayed »

Thank you for your help both KenR and solimum2.
I have advised my father of Handsworth Girls AND I specifically did call the KE6 foundation and told them to put my sister on the waiting list for Handsworth AND I did put them below camp hill in the preference form.
However, have not heard of this since.

The stress of travelling will be a problem but is that not better then the stress of going to a crappy comp where one can easily get beaten up due being more intelligent, of a different race, religion OR even from a different area of Tamworth. My sister's friend has an older sister in Rawlett and she had to take some weeks off due to bullying. Even in my time, my mate got bullied and ended up a drug addict.

Our main priority is a place and if that is successful then my parents are willing to move to birmingham or close enough.

After correspondance form the school, they expressed that they could not give a place, weighted heavily on the fact of the wrong order of preference of the school...so they are willing to sacrifice my sister education based on a parental mistake, that is disgusting.

Post by Guest »

Camphill - boys
Curious

Post by Curious »

Sayed wrote:I did put them below camp hill in the preference form.

After correspondance form the school, they expressed that they could not give a place, weighted heavily on the fact of the wrong order of preference of the school...so they are willing to sacrifice my sister education based on a parental mistake, that is disgusting.
Hi Sayed

If you filled the form in then it wasn't a parental mistake, it must have been yours. Why did you put Camp Hill lower than Rawletts? I would have thought you would do it the other way round if you went to Rawletts and didn't want your sister to go there, or that you would not apply there at all? If you're appealing you are bound to be asked about this. By the way, with regard to your previous post the school can't refuse you an appeal, it is the panel not the school who decide whether to give a place.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now