How many took the exam for Reading Boys.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
All is well

How many took the exam for Reading Boys.

Post by All is well »

Thanks to everyone for their contributions on this forum. It really helped in preparing DS well. He got through RB so really chuffed and proud of him.

Does anyone knows the total number of boys who took the exam this year for Boarding and Day?

Thanks
R3ad1ngDad

Re: How many took the exam for Reading Boys.

Post by R3ad1ngDad »

not for def but heard 630 mentioned
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

All is well wrote:Thanks to everyone for their contributions on this forum. It really helped in preparing DS well. He got through RB so really chuffed and proud of him.
Congratulations and well done. :)

The number of candidates for standardisation on day places was 537 so I guess that was the number who turned up.

Did you get an offer for a day or boarding place?
All is well

Post by All is well »

Thanks stevew61. My son got the boarding place as we are out of catchment.
cestlavie

Post by cestlavie »

We had 537 on the letter but I noticed that the standardisation seems to be on a number nearer to 600 as the cutoff for 100th place is quoted as 343.41. Could they standardise day and boarding places together?

[ 343.41/3 should be the value from a Normal distribution with mean 100, s.d. 15 that would give a cumulative probability of 1-100/n where n is the total number of applicants]
R3ad1ngDad

Post by R3ad1ngDad »

maybe the anomoly is due to SEN pupils being removed from calculation pre-standardisation - that would change your numbers quite quickly as you could be looking at only 95 places being standardised not 100
cestlavie

Post by cestlavie »

Good point, though it would mean around 10 SEN places which seems on the high side.
chiswickwitch

Post by chiswickwitch »

Thanks to all on this site for your helps and tips - it proved invaluable to this total beginner! DS was offered boarding at Reading - can't quite believe it, we're so proud of him! :D

I think there were 32 sitting boarding exam on the first day and maybe some others at a second sitting - but this is unconfirmed.

All is well - Our DS is quite apprehensive ( :? ) about boarding so we will be taking up their offer of a try out/sleepover next week. Will your DS?
All is well

Post by All is well »

congrats Chiswick and kudos to your DS.

Yes we shall send our son for the sleepover. He is very excited about the whole thing and is looking forward to the boarding experience. His only worry is going to the loo at night. I guess that's what a boarding will do. Help them overcome their apprehensions.
I have heard from many people that boarding at Reading is very nice. It may not be the most glamourous as may be some indies are but drills good values in the boys and they are mostly successful.
The only negative comment was that one of the boys put on 2 stones after joining RB as a boarder.

Good luck and will see you there.
mumoffive

Post by mumoffive »

Both our sons boarded at Reading School and the youngest left last year. It has a good family atmosphere and the boys are happy. Both our boys did very well academically and enjoyed school. Boarders families get together at the annual carol concerts and barbecues. They can come home on Friday nights and return on Monday mornings and they get help with homework. The only problem we found was the boys constantly lost expensive items of uniform and equipment. Now both our boys have left I think we will miss it as much as they will.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now