Oversubscription Appeal - Single Gender School

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Booklady

Oversubscription Appeal - Single Gender School

Post by Booklady »

Hi there - DD got allocated good local catchment grammar (in Bucks) - but she - and us - really wanted the single gender option (BHS) for which we are 100m out of catchment! All catchment kids got in and some siblings out of catchment for BHS. Has anyone on here achieved a successful oversubscription appeal either to BHS in particular, or to any single gender school using the desire for this as a reason for appeal? If you have - would you mind sharing with me - by pm - what you did / said - and any points you made which you felt were especially effective.
Thanks in advance for any gems of wisdom!!! :)
scary mum

Re: Oversubscription Appeal - Single Gender School

Post by scary mum »

I hope people have replied to you. I would think that if you are 100m out of catchment you may get in on the waiting let anyway. I know of people who have appealed for boys single gender schools and I guess wanting a single sex school must have been their reason. I wouldn't fret over BGS. It is a great school, may not be pretty but a good school. However, it is a very different type of school to BHS so it depends what you are looking for. Good luck.
scary mum
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Has anyone on here achieved a successful oversubscription appeal
See Dejavu's successful appeal (the second one):
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 5&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, almost everyone appealing for a single sex school is likely to give this as one of their reasons! Difficult for those who are successful to know what it was that swayed the panel.

The usual reasons for single sex are:
religious
social
academic

and it helps to have proof!
Etienne
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

Thanks for the responses! Much appreciated! I am formulating my plan !!! :) :)
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

I`ve been trying to PM you but have been having trouble with the forum. Will try agsain
Muguet

Post by Muguet »

Just PMed you Booklady.
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

Thanks - have sent you a pm also Muguet.

Just to check - I an right in thinking I can just put on the form : I wish to appeal for a place for my daughter in BHS. Supporting evidence to follow.

Is that right? And then I must send the evidence in at least 14 days prior - is that right? I have just asked school for a letter - which may take a few days - and I want to get the form sent back asap!

Also - another question - I spoke to Admissions who say no information is available on the waiting lists till publication on 21st April (long time away!! :( ) - but I thought we could get info earlier than that? Beginning of April - can anyone advise? And, if lots of people have turned down the school you want in the next couple of weeks do they start to offer to other people on the waiting list - or do they wait until 21st April to make any further offers!? :roll:

As always - thanks for everyones help!!
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

Yes to the first two questions........
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

Thanks! Anyone with info on the waiting list questions - your thoughts would be much appeciated too!
joop

Post by joop »

useful information

I think I am at the same stage as you Booklady ! Is it taking over your life as well ?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now