Ribston/SHS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ofsoundmind

Ribston/SHS

Post by ofsoundmind »

Hi, I'm new to all of this, but am I correct in thinking that you must have acheived the pass mark to be 'reconsidered' for a place when you return the acceptance form? And that even if you know there are places still available at a school you have narrowly missed out on, you still have to go to appeal? :roll:
Tolstoy

Re: Ribston/SHS

Post by Tolstoy »

Yes 0fsoundmind you are correct. Another thing to consider is that if you are on a waiting list once the appeals start those that are successful will be given a place increasing that years admission number. This will mean that if someone subsequently declines their place those at the top of the waiting list will not be offered a place until it goes back down to the original PAN.

It is therefore important to appeal even if you are on a waiting list to guard against people lower down the list who do appeal taking a place that could have come to you had you done likewise.
ofsoundmind

Post by ofsoundmind »

Thanks for that. D not far off the top of waiting list so may hang in there. I never thought anything could feel so confusing as this! I do find it odd that there are places at the school that she didn't pass for, yet on the waiting list for school that she did pass for? It all seems backwards to me!
ofsoundmind

Post by ofsoundmind »

Don't you have to have a reason for appeal? Or is it enough to appeal knowing the school is not full and your score is so close to the pass mark?
hopefulandstressed

Post by hopefulandstressed »

Hi ofsoundmind!
I'm new to this all too and like you find the whole thing a nightmare to try to figure out!

My daughter is also high up on waiting list (for SHS) and it's so hard to not to go through every possible situation in which a place will become available! The next few weeks are going to be ****!

Do you know exactly where you're positioned on the lists? I don't know exactly where we are on list because of those girls with score just above my daughter, SHS arn't told which of them put SHS down as a first preference. So it could be that some of the girls that didn't get offered a place didn't put SHS down first and, therefore, are not on the waiting list. But then again, they may have done, so would go in front! I wish I could know one way or the other.

Are you hoping for SHS or Ribston? Where is your alternative? M
ine will be going to Archway if unsuccessful.

Let's just hope that lots of places become available and everyone can breathe a sigh of relief! Okay so realism has never been one of my strong points!!
ofsoundmind

Post by ofsoundmind »

You've just confused me even further! I didn't bargain for any other girls moving ahead of the position we've been indicated of having????? D still not 100% sure of which she prefers. Just taking one stage at a time. We have been given a really good school anyway although not a grammar. Originally wanted R but SH is closer?? Still so many considerations! Don't know if I can justify travel over to Glos? I feel more confused now than I did in October.
hopefulandstressed

Sorry, havn't meant to confuse you more! I was only talking about the girls with one point more than my daughter - they are the only ones that could be ahead, so please don't worry that others could move further ahead of you. Have you been told your place on waiting list by SHS or Ribston?

My daughter had a score of 222 and some of those with 223 have been offered a place, but not all. Hence it's only those with 223 who could be infront who were not offered a place, but they may not have put SHS down as their first preference. Hope that makes more sense?
ofsoundmind

Post by ofsoundmind »

Ah I see. We are one behind you
hopefulandstressed

I don't really understand how the waiting list works totally. If you are one behind what position have you been told you are in? (do you mean your score is 221?) I wonder if the position you have been given includes all those with a higher score (but doesn't take into account those that my not actually want the place because they had another school as their first preference?).
ofsoundmind

Post by ofsoundmind »

Yes, and I think you are right (not that I know much), some may be happy with the place they have and might not want to change.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now