Anyone ever thought of starting a free school?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Preston

Post by Preston »

Reading the threads, it has got me thinking.

Many of you seem clever folk who care passionately about selective education.
Is there not room for free school(s) at the seconday level that offer a strictly academic curriculum and ethos (bear in mind that you free schools are not allowed to select). Would obviously be small scale to start off with.

I know that they recently shut down a catholic secondary in Rugby and that the other secondaries are full to bursting at present. Also, there are plenty of brownfield sites where one could be developed.

Any views or thoughts?
um

Re: Anyone ever thought of starting a free school?

Post by um »

Situation here in Birmingham is also full to bursting. Watch out for the headlines at the end of April when hundreds of 4 year olds will have no Primary school allocated place within a reasonable distance.
It is, however, not quite as simple as the government make it seem...the amount of stress, planning, (and more stress and planning :roll:) are enough to put the vast majority of parents off any attempt at this.
Preston

Post by Preston »

Interesting um, the primary situ in Rugby could well be the same as in Brum in a year or two.

I think to make a free school work you would need a team of about 12 driving it, with the necessary financial, educational, legal, business and administrative skills contained within the team, in addition to large dollops of unbridled evangelism for the cause. I've studied the secondary free school just opening in London, which the journalist Toby young has helped to set up. Very informative.

What worries me are those children who just miss out on a grammar school place, but would nevertheless benefit hugely from the sort of rigorous academic curriculum that the local comprehensives just do not offer; here in Rugby I really do think there is a market for a nice, small free school that is unashamedly academic in its orientation.

Not sure if any other Rugby parents agree?
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Totally agree and have been thinking about it for a while.
Preston

Post by Preston »

Ed's Mum; that's great to hear.

Maybe it's just midlife crisis and age of my kids, but I'm beginning to go all crusade_y these days on this topic. I have nothing to lose but everything to gain.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

You could be in charge of German. :wink:
I'm not feeling particularly dynamic at the moment though so I doubt anything will happen. I would need to meet some like-minded people.
BoltBlue

Post by BoltBlue »

German? Is there much point in learning German or French when the major South American developing world speak Spanish?
It seems many grammar schools have not bothered offering Spannish from year 7 and stick with the norm.
Spanish and Mandarin is what I think are more useful.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

deffo german anyday... anyway didn't we have a shot a at virtual school some time ago ? Watford I think and we all had jobs planned and even had a site for it. I was down for biology I think?... herman nips off to find the thread
serendippyty

Post by serendippyty »

I think free schools are a fantastic idea and would love to be involved with one but thinks it takes a very dynamic team of people with a strong business ethos and a passion for education to make it work...
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

German was a private joke.
Thank you for getting us back.on topic Serendippty.