Rowdy-ism on Habs coaches

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Pushy Dad

Rowdy-ism on Habs coaches

Post by Pushy Dad »

We have a friend whose daughter is at Habs Girls junior school and each day the daughter takes the coach to the school. The friend was saying that she has had problems with the boys on the coach teasing and bothering her daughter and other kids. When she complained to Habs Boys the school took the position that once the coach left the school then the behaviour of the boys weren't their responsiblity. In anycase, if a master doesn't witness the acts then they can't take actions against the boys.

If this is true (and my friend has no reason to lie or exagerate) then that is a major cop-out by the school.

My friend was saying that when she attended joint Habs Girls/Boys events the boys were all perfect little gentlemen since they knew that the smallest infraction on school grounds would be severely dealt with by the school. Unfortunately, this is not the behaviour on the buses.

Maybe we are talking about a few problem boys who are exclusive to that route but given that my son will be taking that same route in September I am of course keen to get a clearer picture of what is actually going on.

Has any other Habs parents had similar experiences on the coaches?
onetogo

Re: Rowdy-ism on Habs coaches

Post by onetogo »

Hi Pushy Dad

My son is in Year 7 at Habs and hasn't mentioned any problems. He's out at the moment but I will quiz him when he returns.

The school is conducting a travel survey amongst parents at the moment which will give an opportunity for issues like this to be aired.

In general I have found that the school takes any accusations of bullying / unpleasant behaviour (and persistent teasing of others would fall into this category) very seriously whether witnessed by a master or not.
2ddsmum

Post by 2ddsmum »

I can only comment on my daughter's coach & I am not aware of any problems but of course there are many routes. Most children seem to have a great time on the coaches - our daughter begged to go on the coach for some time as she felt she was missing out by getting a lift by car. Obviously there is a lot of banter between the boys & girls (they don't see each other all day!!) but as far as I know it is all pretty good-natured. Older children don't normally pester the younger ones as they are busy organising their social lives with their peers.

That said, the younger ones are meant to have an older child to act as a "buddy" so clearly something has gone awry in the case you describe. Rather than complain to HABS boys perhaps they should check with the girls' school first & see where the girl is who is meant to be looking out for her is.

I agree with onetogo, any occasional issues related to bullying (either boys/girls school) is stamped on very quickly.
CoolMum5

Post by CoolMum5 »

Pushydad - which route is it that you're worried about? I will ask around for you. However, I do agree that behaviour in the coach should still be dealt with by the school.
Pushy Dad

Post by Pushy Dad »

coolmum5 - I don't know the starting point or the actual route but we are St Albans. My friend's daughter eventually punched the boy that was constantly annoying her. The teasing stopped thereafter :D

Boys being boys are naturally annoying towards girls at that age and being a 'Habs Boy' doesn't mean that genes and hormones aren't going to take over once they are out of site of supervising adults. But what annoyed my friend was the lack of interesting shown by Habs Boys when she complained.

It isn't something I want to make an issue out off. Like I said, the teasing stopped as soon as the daughter made it clear that enough was enough but thanks anyway.
Pushy Dad

Post by Pushy Dad »

Please pardon the sloppy grammar - Brain tired. Need sleep :)
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Pushy dad....your friends daughter sounds as if she can look after herself ! I expect the boy in question ( and all the others ) will give her a wide berth from now on ! :lol:

I was surprised to hear of the boys schools reluctance to intervene.I was " bussed " into my school and it was drummed into us to behave as although it was outside school hours, we were in uniform and easily identifiable and bad behaviour reflects badly on the school....... (it didn't work , my brothers who used to wait for their bus down the road said they could hear our bus coming minutes before it was visible and we were like St. Trinians, screaming and banging on the windows ! :shock: )
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Novice

Post by Novice »

Hello All

This worried me a little as my DS is starting Hab's Boys in September, he will be taking the School Bus and will not know a single person when he starts.

The thing that has me concerned is the fact that the school was uninterested in supporting the problem. Oh well, we will just have to wait and see how it goes in September.

Mx
Pushy Dad

Post by Pushy Dad »

Hi Novice. To date my friend's story is the only such story to surface so I suspect that it was an isolated incident I'm more concerned about my son walking home from the bus drop off while wearing a private school uniform and carrying a violin and cricket gear. We don't live in a rough area so I'm not fearing for his safety but there will always be some kids who will think its funny to hassle the 'posh' kid.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now