Techie advice, please

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

KS10

Re: Techie advice, please

Post by KS10 »

Update ...

- laptop was delivered to the wrong address (my parents' - don't ask) after the 9th attempt (OH was 'miffed' - he prefers the understated approach apparently)
- it is now worse than it was before we sent it to be repaired
- we were supposed to get a call about it today (we didn't)
- our guarantee ran out while they had the laptop (they had it for 2 months)
Yadagi

Post by Yadagi »

Lookinglass wrote:Hi

we had a similar problem with a large reputable company last year. Ended up getting a full refund as they returned the computer to us stating it was in good working order and it had no hard drive! Rather than using your voice and screaming down the phone have you tried the rape alarms that go onto key rings for runners & lone females. They work brilliantly and I'm sure they get ringing in their ears for days after....
This reminds me of when I was a child and we kept getting heavy breather calls at home, and only when myself or my mum answered the phone, so mu dad bought a whistle and the next time they called he used it down the phone at them after warning them he would do something serious to them if they didn't stop.
No more heavy breathers again !!!! :lol:
Lookinglass

Post by Lookinglass »

Hi KT10
Check the small print. My guarantee ran out whilst it was away but because it was still faulty it was still covered.
Lookinglass

Post by Lookinglass »

Still half asleep sorry meant KS10
Pushy Dad

Post by Pushy Dad »

"Free email accounts are particularly vulnerable to this sort of hijacking"

No they are not. You are more likely to be hacked at your end as opposed to at Microsoft's end. I'm in IT, albeit not in the area of data security, and the advice that I give out to friends that ask is - don't store any contact info or email history on your PC since its more likely that you'll get hacked than Microsoft's email servers that are sitting behind God knows how many layers of firewalls etc.

Also, even though it is more convenient to do so, never tick the box that says 'remember me' or 'save password'.

People watch films like Mission Impossible and they think of hackers as super criminals that get through corporate systems using their criminal genius. Yes there are people like that but the majority of criminals get what they want because of unsuspecting users replying to email scams.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Thanks, Lookinglass. Will work on them tomorrow.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now