D & T (resistant materials)

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Rugbymum

D & T (resistant materials)

Post by Rugbymum »

Is this GCSE worth taking? DC enjoys D&T (and Art) but we need to be convinced of its value as a GCSE option. Unfortunately he is limited to one subject from his options list which means its either this or History (he's already decided to do Geography).
KB

Re: D & T (resistant materials)

Post by KB »

I was sceptical as well but our view is that 1 less academic option isn't a bad thing.

DT does seem to be as much about analysis, planning etc as the actual making so I think there is some real value in the study of the subject.

It may not be academically challenging but I think it does require quite alot of time so if its something DC enjoys doing and will see it partly as 'time out' then I would say its a sensible option.
hilltop

Post by hilltop »

My son does this. He's doing the usual academic gcses (triple science, MFL, hist/geog etc) and this is his one non-academic subject.

He's making one finished product with all the accompanying design and build documentation. There's also a theory paper covering woods, metals, plastics and general design/build/production considerations. We choose the subject as he's a maths/science boy and we thought it might be useful for some types of engineering, and also he's learning general DIY skills.
solimum

Post by solimum »

DS1 did this for GCSE and A level, and is now in the first year of a PhD in Engineering (with a strong leaning towards materials science). Certainly worth doing for the problem-solving and practical skills as well as the academic content. Imaginative teachers can bring in links with formula 1 , local inventors, industry, robotics etc to inspire all abilities
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

Thanks for the replies - I've done some more research and it does sound like a good GCSE after all. DS is now leaning towards History again though...it would be good if he could do both options as he does not know what he wants to do later on, such a shame they're being restricted in their choices after only 18 months at secondary school :?
moved

Post by moved »

We have been advised to have at least one non-academic subject to show breadth.