Whifgift parents for September 2011 where are you?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
supermum2

Whifgift parents for September 2011 where are you?

Post by supermum2 »

We have signed sealed and delivered our whitfgift offer and it feels very exciting that the game is over and DS knows where he will be going to study.

Any other parents in the same position it would be nice to know who you are and talk about any concerns or opinions on the school so that we can prepare ourselves as much as possible.

DS won drama scholarship and guess that he will be expected to take part fully in the drama elements of the school.
All I need now is wings!
AJD

Re: Whifgift parents for September 2011 where are you?

Post by AJD »

Hi supermum2

We are off to Whitgift in September too - similarly excited but still waiting for a written acknowledgement from the school - its been over a week now!

Can't wait to go and see the school again just to remind myself what its like and where my DS will be spending the next 7 years.

We have slight concerns about the distance but at the end of the day I can take/pick up no problem.

Also the size - can you remember how many classes there are in yr 7 - I have 6 in mind.

Well done to your DS for his drama scholarship - a great place to be for performing.

My DS is sporty but I hope he doesn't get despondent about how good some of the boys will be at sport.
supermum2

Post by supermum2 »

Whitgift advised that class sizes change each year. This year the sizes will be 22 or 23 . This I feel is quite large for the price we will be paying... what are your thoughts?
All I need now is wings!
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

I think that's roughly what they are every year
1sttime

Post by 1sttime »

Hi DS is starting Year 6 in Sept and we are looking forward a new chapter of life for him... he doesn't know anyone from Whitgift and its all new to him. Just looking forward the coming parents evening/drink/chat in June... :D I do wonder if there are anymore new-Whitgift parents out there where we can all share together our experiences leading up to Sept and after. :)
supermum2

Post by supermum2 »

Hello... the experience is daunting but exciting at the same time. we received our language choices on tuesday and went to see the rugby final at twickenham.. it was fantastic to watch them win.. my DS cant wait to be part of the boys.

Iam wright sat a few seats away from me, and kids kept asking for his autograph.

i will be attending the briefing in june. will your ds be going on the induction activities ?
All I need now is wings!
mydaddy

Post by mydaddy »

My DS will also be starting in September.
I'm sure he will be fine there but I can't
shake this nagging feeling that perhaps
it would have been better to send him to
Wilson's which he also gained entry to.

Anyway,I too will be at the parents briefing in June.

Just btw does anyone know how much school meals cost?
AJD

Post by AJD »

We went to the Twickenham final too - what a wonderful atmosphere. It's good to have received our 'package' this week and we are looking forward to the evening in June - uniform fitting appointment made - all systems go!

DS will be going on the induction activity days - they sound a great way to break the ice for all the new boys.
1sttime

Post by 1sttime »

Finally few more Whitgift parents emerged! :)

DS will be doing induction activities end Aug and going to Lake Garda in Sept. Uniform fitting appointment been made too with cheque book of course! Lol...

Giving up Wilson for Whitgift...well both are very good schools but I am sure no regrets...I do however understand as we put DS in at 10+ when we could have waited for GS entries and all the money we could save but I am sure there will be no regrets and thrilled with the opportunities DS get to take on which may not be readily available in other state schools. Beside DS needs nurturing indie school.

School dinner...I heard around £3-£3.50 a day? Can someone confirm pls?

DS will be using school coach.

Wow! Ian Wright?! Darren Brown, JLS and Danny Caprini next? :)

Keep writing and stay connected... :)
supermum2

Post by supermum2 »

Dinner money... I stupidly thought it was included in the fees. Oh well to the lucnh box it will be.

It was a great opportunity to see the dynamics of the children @ Twickenham.. I must say Whitgift are sooo competitive, they had a couple of boys playing drums to get the crowd lively. The other schools had no where near the numbers Whitgift had for support.

I need to arrange uniform fitting......... thanks for the reminder
All I need now is wings!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now