Non selective good independent schools

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
veryworriedmum

Non selective good independent schools

Post by veryworriedmum »

Hi! I was wondering if there were any good non selective independent schools where we could apply for a place for Sept 2011 11 plus entry! He has been offered a place at a Slough Grammar School but we are not really happy and he definitely deserves the best! He is very sporty and is very good at Maths and Science! Independent boys schools preferably near Kingston! Any suggestions?

Thanks
veryworriedmum
zee

Re: Non selective good independent schools

Post by zee »

If he qualified for a grammar school and is good at maths and science, are you sure a non-selective school is the best option?

The only non-selective indie I know of is Egerton Rothesay in Berkhamsted, but I have no direct experience of it and believe that it's better for children with dyslexia and other such issues. That may be true of other non-selective indies.
Last edited by zee on Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
la boume

Post by la boume »

Well, good-nonselective-independent-boys only-near Kingston...
Can think only about Reeds, there is an entrance exam but not demanding one. Very good at sports activities. Some boarding places. The boy i know is very happy there...he did not make Tiffin and Kingston Grammar at his time.
Hall in Wimbledon used to be all-boys but now they offer places for gilrs as well.
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

Why don't you want Slough Grammar? We thought it was excellent - DD didn't get that one offered though.
harrow123

Post by harrow123 »

veryworriedmum wrote:Hi! I was wondering if there were any good non selective independent schools where we could apply for a place for Sept 2011 11 plus entry! He has been offered a place at a Slough Grammar School but we are not really happy and he definitely deserves the best! He is very sporty and is very good at Maths and Science! Independent boys schools preferably near Kingston! Any suggestions?

Thanks
veryworriedmum
Oh dear, you are in same lines as me. You may send your DS to prep school and then make him to write for 13+. this way he can go to selective indie but i understand your plan, sending to some indie now will give you a relief and you can relax for next 7 years

all the best
veryworriedmum

Post by veryworriedmum »

Hi all,

Thanks for all the suggestions! Just trying to find a school that would be the most suitable for him! He should be in good company and make good friends who are high achievers! Especially at secondary age when these issues are so important to shape his life!

Anyways thanks once again! Glad to have such a wonderful resource like this forum at hand in a country where everything is DIY!

Best wishes
veryworriedmum
zee

Post by zee »

veryworriedmum wrote:He should be in good company and make good friends who are high achievers!
So why are you wanting a non-selective school, given that he qualified for a selective and you want him to be surrounded by other high-achievers? I don't understand.

(I realise there are high achievers in non-selective schools, but clearly they will be a smaller proportion of the pupils in such schools.)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

agreed you may find that non "non selective" at senior level is a euphemism for "didn't get into selective" and if you have a child who passed the 11 plus he may ultimately resent NOT being given the chance to work with high acheivers.
mumoffour

Post by mumoffour »

Are you saying non-selective because you would have missed the entrance exam?

I have heard that St James' Boys (now in Ashford, moved from Twickenham) has occasionally taken boys who didn't apply in time and approached them when unhappy with their school allocation.

Not boys, but there is a new co-ed school opening in Twickenham - Radnor House. The exam was quite relaxed and not taxing, and would definitely be worth considering. The credentials of the leadership team are very strong and the feeling locally is that it is going to be a good school.

Best wishes
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

good point mumoffour, quite a few indies set late entrance exams for kid who have missed the original dates or changed their mind for one reason or another.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now