Chance at appeal

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

beerheaven

Chance at appeal

Post by beerheaven »

I would appreciate some honest advice!

My DD scored 213 for SHS - missing the pass mark by 3 points. She has been offered a place at the reasonable local comprehensive. We have accepted but are thinking about appealing for a place at SHS.

She is currently at level 4a for written work and level 5s for reading and maths.

During the exam there was a number of distractions:-
- two girls whispering answers to each other - were seperated
- another girl intermittently flicking her paper - told to stop but kept repeating
- during the second paper a girl had a bad cough and was eventually taken out to another room

So what do you think guys?!

I have been a lurker on this forum for a little while and have found it very helpful already so thanks!
turtleglos

Re: Chance at appeal

Post by turtleglos »

I am certainly no expert but I expect that someone(Capers!) will be along soon to help. I can only say that if you really feel that that is the best school for your dd then you have nothing to lose (except for your sanity) by trying. Just make sure that you except the place that you have been offered while you go through the process.
You don't even have to tell your dd that you are appealing(when we thought that we would have to appeal, our ds1 knew that we would,however we made it perfectly clear that this would not mean that he had a place,just that we were doing all we could to support him).
I think that only you know what is best for your family. I also know that should you decide to appeal ,you will get a lot of support and great advice from here.
Best of luck
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
beerheaven

Post by beerheaven »

Turtleglos - thanks for your reply.

We have decided to go to appeal - our DD's teacher is being very supportive and has offered to write a letter. I am currently making a list of evidence that would be useful for the teacher to include in her letter. How does the following sound?
- outline of ability in core subjects - English, Maths and Science, including predicted SATS levels and current Teacher Assessment Levels
- describing qualities of perserverance, application and ability to work independently
- reading age
- CATS scores ( not sure if school does these )

Anything else that the teacher could put down. She has agreed to us taking key school books to the actual appeal - a long way away I know!

Thanks!
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

Have a good look at the appeals section of this site. Masses of help there esp from Capers.

Your DDs school would have done CATs so could let you know the scores for these and you can use if they are good. I think you are so close to the pass it might be worth a go. Has the head at your primary school supported any appeals before? -He/she might be able to chat to you about it. If your dd is on the G&T list for any subjects you can give that as evidence of ability too.
It sounds like the disturbances in the test might have caused a problem esp if your DD was sitting close by. I should think these may have been noted but not too sure, can anyone back you up on this? I do know of someone who missed HSFG by a few points and made it in on appeal so can happen. Good luck.
cairo

Post by cairo »

If your DD is at a state primary in Gloucestershire, she will have done CAT tests at the beginning of Y5 and the school should give you her results if you ask for them. Not all independent schools do them, but they might have done something similar - you'd have to ask. For CAT tests, a score of 100 puts you on the 50th centile (i.e. average), the maximum score is 141 - so anything in the 120s or 130s looks good.

If the disturbance in the room involved separating two children and moving another to a different room, I am sure the invigilator will have noted this in their notes. I suggest you contact the school saying you are planning an appeal and asking how you can get a copy of the invigilator's notes. If your DD made any comment about how much this disturbed her during the test, I would state this in your appeal submission.

No doubt you are reading the Appeals section of this forum avidly! There are lots of helpful pointers there. As yours will be a "non-qualification" and "over-subscription" appeal, you will need to cover both issues in your appeal submission. It's hard work compiling all the necessary information, but don't be put off. If you feel SHS is the right school for your DD, it's worth giving it a go I'm sure.
beerheaven

Post by beerheaven »

Thank-you for your replies!

I have just written a letter to DD's letter asking for all the relevant information.

I have digested so much info from the appeals section that my head is buzzing!!

I understand that we won't receive the appeal pack until the end of March/early April. Does anyone have any idea roughly when we have to have our written appeal submitted by?

Again many thanks for your advice so far.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

beerheaven wrote:I understand that we won't receive the appeal pack until the end of March/early April. Does anyone have any idea roughly when we have to have our written appeal submitted by?
It tends to be 2 weeks before the hearing. It is possible to send additional stuff later, but is an admin nightmare for the clerk! You can even bring extra evidence on the day, but if you did, you'd need to bring 5 copies - 1 for the school, 1 for the clerk, 3 for the panel, and expect the panel to adjourn to read & absorb it. It should only need to be done if you've been waiting for a report - say medical - that was late appearing. You would not be penalised for bringing new evidence on the day.

Some people might also bring - say - school work on the day, but don't expect the panel to inspect it in great detail - we're not allowed to make our own judgement on the brightness of pupils, as we're not qualified to do so! We can look at evidence from those who are, such as teachers or Ed Psychs.

Most people will send the complete appeal on time. You can send back the appeal application form saying 'paperwork to follow'.
Capers
beerheaven

Post by beerheaven »

I telephoned SHS last week and enquired about the invigilator's report. The receptionist was unsure and arranged for the admissions officer to return my call. She informed me that they were unable to provide me with a copy of the report. Is that correct?

However when I outlined the distractions in the exam that my daughter had reported, she confirmed them all to be correct. She did say that those sort of distractions are not uncommon in these exams. Is that correct also?

She assured me that a copy of the report would be available to the appeals panel.

My daughter's teacher is being very supportive and is currently gathering evidence for us.

Thank-you all for your advice and support so far!
cairo

Post by cairo »

I thought you could get a copy of the invigilator's report ...(Freedom of Information Act? Any lawyers out there can confirm this?)

Anyhow, if you can't, I wouldn't worry unduly. You can just repeat what you've said on here: that the Admissions Officer confirmed on the telephone the disruption your DD reported, that you were informed that you couldn't have the invigilator's report, but were advised the panel would get a copy of it.

I didn't ask for a copy of the invigilator's report for my DS's appeal (as it wasn't a key part of my case) but at one point the admissions officer did refer to it. I was surprised by how much information it contained "10:53am: car heard outside, two heads up. 10: 59am: one child coughing" etc.

Is the school going to provide CATs and up-to-date SATs predictions etc?
capers123

Post by capers123 »

beerheaven wrote:I telephoned SHS last week and enquired about the invigilator's report. The receptionist was unsure and arranged for the admissions officer to return my call. She informed me that they were unable to provide me with a copy of the report. Is that correct?

However when I outlined the distractions in the exam that my daughter had reported, she confirmed them all to be correct. She did say that those sort of distractions are not uncommon in these exams. Is that correct also?

She assured me that a copy of the report would be available to the appeals panel.
Sounds about right. It will be because it contains information about other children, so isn't subject to FOI act.

They will have it at the appeal and will happily read out what's on it. They're not being secretive - they'll happily confirm what you've been told to the panel. I've never been shown one, but I've also not heard an appeal where a parents comment about problems isn't backed up by the info in the report.
Capers