waiting list- number 39

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
choudsal

waiting list- number 39

Post by choudsal »

Hi- just learned that my son is 39 on KEGS waiting list- how realistic is it to expect an offer? Has anyone been in this position or similiar position or even know of anyone in in a similiar predicament? He has an offer at 2nd choice CRGS but it's the travelling that puts me off- KEGS is on my door step!
KB

Re: waiting list- number 39

Post by KB »

Sadly I don't think that there is likely to be that much movement - I do know that KEGS has moved more than CRGS in the past due to impact of applicants from 'London' but I still think you are too far off if one is being realistic.
Only my opinion - CSSE might well tell you how much the list moved for the last couple of years.
Alot of boys do travel quite along way to CRGS so you may find that your DS manages just fine - especially if he can use the bus journey as 'down time'. Are you close to the bus route for Colchester as the bus does go right past the school & would allow him to stay after school sometimes rather than be tied to a contract bus?
Also, although for the rugby team & the choir he woud need to stay after school, there are plenty of extra curricular activities at lunch time.
Not sure now but certainly in previous years there have been a number of boys coming from 'your direction'.

Do hope you get a conclusion that you and DS are content with.
KEGSmum

Post by KEGSmum »

Hi, when my son went to KEGS 3 years ago, we knew someone who was 10th on the waiting list and got a place offered at the beginning of May. So it was very slow moving from March to May. We also knew that year of at least 2 boys who turned down KEGS in favour of a private school. 39 seems like a long way off, but you never know. The CSSE should be able to tell you what happened last year. Good luck whatever you decide to do, but having the option of CRGS is fabulous. I am sure a lot of people would love to be in your position. Best wishes.
dutchy005

Post by dutchy005 »

Last year the KEGS waiting list moved 17 places. Somewhere on the forum is the mum of the DS placed 18th who, if I remember correctly, went to WHSB and is well settled and thriving there.

Our DS is at CRGS and absolutely loves it. KEGS was his first choice although I have to admit we always preferred CRGS but these things are very subjective. After less than a couple of weeks I asked our son what he would do if a place at KEGS came up and he was guaranteed a seat next to his best friend (main reason for wanting KEGS in first place). His answer was a categoric no, he would definitely not want to leave CRGS.

The bus our son catches is the 525 which starts in Chelmsford. The driver looks after them really well and the atmosphere on the bus is good and calm and the DCs on the bus always look perfectly happy. Our DS views the journey as part of his day. He sits with one of the many new friends he has made and this is a big bit of what he enjoys about going to school.

Quite a lot of parents at my DS' school in Chelmsford didn't even put KEGS on their forms because they felt CRGS was a better match for their sons. Once the boys are at the school if they do want to play rugby or be in the choir then everyone helps and either drops Chelmsford boys at a railway station nearer to Chelmsford or lift share.

CRGS is a very very social school and there are lots of opportunities to get to know other parents, I think it it is pretty unusual in this. It is really easy to establish contact with other parents so you can share some extra runs if there are special events.

I looks as if, unless something wildly different happens to the waiting list this year, your DS will not be offered a place at KEGS on the waiting list before September, but I'll put a little wager on that by October half term at CRGS he won't want to stay on the waiting list any longer and will be fine about the journey.

It really is a lovely lovely school and we have not had a single thing that we are unhappy about. If you read through this forum you will find so many parents are warm about the school, so celebrate and look forward to his wonderful time there.
choudsal

Post by choudsal »

Thanks for all your kind responses- i have spoken to the CSSE but they haven't been involved with the lists for a while and LEA said its most unlikely to change by that much. Having said that my sons done his h/w and has been researching school league tables etc and he seems very happy with CRGS. I've heard mixed reviews/comments about KEGS, CRGS & WHSB, all very good schools but children are happiest in the latter two and CRGS & KEGS don't differ by much in the league tables. I've booked him on the bus and there are 4 others accepting places at CRGS & CHSG from his school, so i'm a bit relaxed- i just hope he's happy at CRGS- i suppose when it's your first child you are bound to be a little anxious. Thanks.
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

choudsal wrote: i just hope he's happy at CRGS- i suppose when it's your first child you are bound to be a little anxious. Thanks.
My DS is halfway through Year 7 and he is very happy at CRGS. He has settled in very well, staff seem friendly and there are lots of activities for the boys to do. The school have been very good at welcoming new parents (they hold various functions where parents can meet one another). My DS is coping really well with the long day and the bus journey is a time to chat with his friends. CRGS is a fabulous school and I feel very lucky to be part of it. I am sure your DS will settle in fine. :D
choudsal

Post by choudsal »

Hi I phoned the LEA today and was told my DS was at number 36 so really no hope- the guy on the phone told me to expect a movement of approx a dozen places at the most- i guess he's right, but my DS has got his heart set on CRGS, he loved the school when he went to visit last week- but i'm still keeping him on the waiting list but not getting my hopes up!
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

I think it's great news that your DS is so keen on CRGS and it seems that this is the school that he is destined to be at. Enjoy the moment. :)