What is going on in early education?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sassie'sDad

What is going on in early education?

Post by Sassie'sDad »

Our five year old curriculum never had this. No wonder I was a late developer! :oops:
"successive governments seem to have forgotten that most parents are good parents, and instead they treat us all as feckless idiots whose failure to educate our children is directly linked to Britain’s high number of teenage pregnancies."
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... ry-it.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scarlett

Re: What is going on in early education?

Post by scarlett »

Yes, I read this article as well :shock: It's one thing discussing the " egg and seed " chat that I think I had at the ripe old age of 11.......but to talk in detail about other aspects .....nothing of which has to do with procreation....if you get my drift.....well, I don't think is suitable for 5 year old and they just don't need to know about it.I know a lady who told her daughter all about periods when she was 3 !!!! :shock: Wouldn't it just worry them at a young age ?
I only recently discussed the birds and bees with ds1( and he's 11 ) and it was rather embarrassing plus he was looking at me in a horrified manner...when ds2 asks for details I shall just tell him that ds1 will fill him in !
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Oh, and another thing...what is it with schooling these days ? First this sort of education, dd informs me every evening if she considers the evening meal to be healthy...balance of protein/ fat etc....don't smoke...every aspect of health promotion you can think of. That's my job.I just want her to be able to read and write !!!!!!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

from the teacher's point of view,the more that the powers that be decide should be taught in schools, the less time there is to do the basics...
Milla

Post by Milla »

my friend who's a school secretary says that a lot of it is because they're meant to work out children who might be abused. By naming and shaming "the parts" apparently "abuse issues" can come out. Or something.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I didn't find that Daily Mail article very clear. I really don't think that the coalition has approved a specific book, particularly not the one with the cover shown, for 5 year olds have they? Wasn't it a bit of Daily Mail overexcitement? I looked the book up on Amazon and it looks quite good for a child somewhere between 8 and 14 depending on the child?

Who has agreed what and when? Great advertising for the book from the Daily Mail I though.
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

It's not just a case of the newspaper making something on unfound information. I watched a tv programme that was discussing this info aswell. It was stated on this programme that the books have been given the all clear to be used. I am not happy and will certainly insist that my 2 young children will not be apart of these sessions, completely unecessary at such a young age. Some of the language and descriptions used were truly shocking :?
mystery

Post by mystery »

But where does all this come from? I've never heard of a government giving an "all clear" for specific book in any subject, let alone sex education.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I'm sure I've read on here some parents stating their children have had some kind of s ed in yr 5.....My ds hasn't and wouldn't I have to give my permission ? Anyway, schools must have to give the same information so then there must be a specific book etc ?

Just asked dh if he knew about ds receiving this information...he has just replied that don't they get that in yr 11/12 ? :shock: ( he meant age I think ) and when I said what not till the the sixth form ! he said thats right...behind the bike sheds.... :roll:
mystery

Post by mystery »

Think your son knows more than he is letting on.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now