Waiting lists again - how does it work?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
rubyhettybetty

Waiting lists again - how does it work?

Post by rubyhettybetty »

Our paperwork says you can go on the waiting list for any school even if it wasn't on your CAF.
Our desired school was only oversubscribed 12 places on 1st choices, but if I am correct in my thinking, anyone eligible can go on the waiting list and if they live closer than us, be higher up the list despite their original preference ? (distnace being the criteria)

Is that correct?

Then what happens after 2nd allocation round, they re-fill from waiting list up to PAN. But then what happens after appeals - more filling up from waiting list?

help!
admissionslady

Re: Waiting lists again - how does it work?

Post by admissionslady »

Dear Ruby

After allocation day,anyone can put their child on the waiting list of any school for which the child is eligible. This may be a school that was not originally listed on the CAF, or it may be a lower preference school where the child has been offered a higher preference school. People do quite often have second thoughts after allocation day.
These new entrants to the waiting list must be slotted onto it in rank order, however that is determined at that particular school.

This is why no second round offers are made until late March, even if schools and LA's know that some people have declined their offer of a school place - to allow any waiting lists requests to filter through and be registered.

As for appeals - any child admitted on appeal is outwith the waiting list/offer process, and schools cannot keep back places for potential successful appellants. However, if successful appeals take the numbers in the yeargroup over PAN, the school does not have to offer from the waiting list until the numbers fall below PAN again.

Hope this helps.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

rubyhettybetty wrote:Then what happens after 2nd allocation round, they re-fill from waiting list up to PAN. But then what happens after appeals - more filling up from waiting list?

help!
Dont think there will be much movement at FP at 2nd round - sorry. :( But you can then call the school and ask where abouts on the waiting list you are. Last year we were very high on RGS waiting list but it didnt make any difference as RGS hold their appeals early so by the end of April dd was given her place at RGS which was great. Last yr FP held their appeals in june so there may be some movement if people who have been allocated FP but are appealing to another school are offered the other school. But i dont feel it will be many.
rubyhettybetty

Post by rubyhettybetty »

Lol, indeed, I'm not expecting any movement at all from the waiting list :( confirmed by the admissions lady at FP...

There may be the ODD child appealing to RGSG who has got FR as 2nd choice which may free up spaces. I just like to obsess :)

xx
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

AdmissionsLady - Does this apply to all LEA?
Brenda Jean

Post by Brenda Jean »

May I ask - are you able to appeal for a lower preference school if you have changed your mind? What could you put on your appeal form as your holding sentence?
Many thanks
admissionslady

Post by admissionslady »

Slough Mum - yes, it's in the Admissions Code.
rubyhettybetty

Post by rubyhettybetty »

Brenda Jean wrote:May I ask - are you able to appeal for a lower preference school if you have changed your mind? What could you put on your appeal form as your holding sentence?
Many thanks

You can appeal for any school on your CAF can't you? I just put ' appeal papers and evidence to follow'
Brenda Jean

Post by Brenda Jean »

Many thanks - I have done the same!!
whitehart

Post by whitehart »

Dear Admissionslady

Can you go on the waiting list for a school that wasn't originally on your form (a grammar in Tunbridge Wells) as I have been told by KCC that you can not?

Many Thanks
:roll:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now