Plymouth Primarys

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
learningcurve

Plymouth Primarys

Post by learningcurve »

Hi all,
I realise this is slightly off topic . However I would appreciate any advice given. We are moving to Plymouth (OH home town) in August. DD has got a place at DHSG , however we have been told not to apply for primarys for our younger 2 until June. We have been told all close ones (at present) are either full or only have one space . I don't know how I am supposed to be at two schools same time for drop off/pick up. They will only be 5 and 6 , so too young to walk by themselves.
We have looked at offsted reports for others but would appreciate any word of mouth reviews you may have.
Thank you. x
learningcurve

Re: Plymouth Primarys

Post by learningcurve »

Please p.m if you don't wish to post. Thanks x
bluechip

Post by bluechip »

sOunds silly that! indeed how are you supposed to get them to two different places.

Only thing I can suggest is if there is a nursery attached to one of the schools get one in early and they will drop them to school, (of course this means paying for half hour childcare (but may lea will pay this considering its not your fault) meanwhile you can take the younger one directly to the other school in time. If there is no nursery attached to either school, well they will just have to be late wont they...dont see how you can get in trouble its not your fault and hopefully it will only be for a short time. Im assuming you cannot apply until they have said as they are waiting to deal with the new intake first and then they deal with mid term changers maybe?? not 100% sure tho, just a guess.

I dont see what else will happen, if there isnt a place they cannot magic one. My primary has 36 in classess and the school are lobbying to get it down to 30 so there would be no chance to new joiners. A friends child moved to our primary, they applied mid term and got a place the following september as that is when another child moved on, I think this may often be the case...you apply in June time as by then most who will not return in Sept will have informed the school and therefore they have more places to offer etc....thats just my guess seems to make sense!
Wish you all the best with it...sounds stressfull. My daughter will be starting dhsg in sept(so may discover each other at some point!) Im not happy for her to bus it (she very timid and small not at all streetwise) so I will be taking her, then shooting back across the other side of plymouth to drop other two at primary!..not looking forward to that school run!
learningcurve

Post by learningcurve »

Hi Bluechip,
Yes, the June application is due to needing to apply within a time frame before space is actually needed, so they are more aware of what numbers/spaces will be . I certainly wouldn't expect them to hold spaces open for my children coming in Sept. if other children need those spaces now. I also understand that there are a limited number of spaces and would not want my children to be given a place if it stretches the resorces of a class/school.
When we apply we still need to put 3 choices in order of preference though.We've read offstead reports and visited a few but I still feel very much like I will be choosing 'blind'. We're lacking the 'word of mouth' feedback we would get if we were living there now.
This moving malarky will have me rocking in a corner before Sept. lol
bluechip

Post by bluechip »

ok, well if you want pm me the schools you are looking at and I will give you my opinion.
I know of two very good schools but generally they are over subscribed. I know of other good schools too. My daughters school is good, the pupils do well there and they are respectful and polite children, they have several awards.
I know of some not as good ones too, so if you mention those I can let you know.
The league tables are quite a good indication of the schools down here...they certainly fall in with my opinions of which are good and not so good.
rgards
bluechip.