Resitting modules at GCSE - implications

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
nigs

Resitting modules at GCSE - implications

Post by nigs »

Does anyone know what the implications of resitting a module at GCSE (towards the end of Year 11) with regards to university applications are.
I had heard that some universities prefer to see results at first sitting or is this only for ASs and A2s?

If it is possible to retake - I assume the best grade will be the chosen and not just the last one?

Thanks all.
guest43

Re: Resitting modules at GCSE - implications

Post by guest43 »

Hi there. I would have thought that an A at retake would be considered better than a first time B but not as good as an A first time around. Generally I would have thought a retake likely to improve results would be worthwhile.

Obviously if the retake result is not better than the original then this would be a bad move. I'm not sure to what extent you can "hide your tracks" to present the best possible results.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

We've just had this conversation at home, and believe that a retake within the same academic year will not be reflected in the university application process, so if the January module is retaken in the June, for example with the dual Science GCSE, you get 2 papers for one GCSE, then if you get a B in January and retake and get an A in June and an A on the second paper you will be awarded an A on that part of the dual award as long as the c/w and hands on tasks are up to scratch. I can't see how a university would be able to get sight of the fact that any applicant has retaken at that stage. It might have implications if you retake the following January or June a module that has already been taken in year 10, and a GCSE already awarded at a lower grade.
If retaken once, the best achieved will count, but I think if retaken more than once your last mark is counted, so there's a risk attached to resitting twice.
In a bit of a rush, so I apologise if this doesn't make much sense.
moved

Post by moved »

If your DC is retaking modules before the end of the exam then no one will know. This is the huge advantage of the modular system. You are, however only allowed to hold to your last mark before the retake. At the point of two marks for the same module the highest one counts but if a third attempt is made then only the last two marks will count for the highest grade.

e.g. module results of A, C, B. It would have been better to have stopped after the C and kept the A rather than trying again when only the B will count.

I hope this is clearer than mud, but in a rush to not burn dinner. :mrgreen:
nigs

Post by nigs »

Thanks all for your replies.

This will be her first retake. I will be keeping all fingers crossed. If it doesn't work out, she will not take another but use the first grade.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Good luck :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now