Transfer appeal query

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

colb

Transfer appeal query

Post by colb »

We are putting together transfer appeals for the top 3 grammar schools on our CAF form. Just wondered if we are to try and convince the panel in each case that the school in question is the best for our daughter. Will the panel know what order we listed on the form and how, if we did not list as 1st choice, can we state that this school is now the one and only for our daughter. Are the panel likely to ask where we placed the school in the list ? In reality all three schools would fit the bill perfectly. How would we respond to " why did you not list in 1st place ,if they ask :? Colb
Etienne

Re: Transfer appeal query

Post by Etienne »

colb wrote:We are putting together transfer appeals for the top 3 grammar schools on our CAF form. Just wondered if we are to try and convince the panel in each case that the school in question is the best for our daughter.
Strictly speaking, you are required just to give reasons for your preference.
Will the panel know what order we listed on the form
If it's a local authority panel, it's more likely than not. (You will know for sure because you will get the same paperwork as the panel about a week before the hearing.)
if we did not list as 1st choice, can we state that this school is now the one and only for our daughter
You can change your mind!
Are the panel likely to ask where we placed the school in the list ?
It's not a question I approve of, but some panels might ask.
In reality all three schools would fit the bill perfectly. How would we respond to " why did you not list in 1st place ,if they ask?
You could try arguing that "all three schools would fit the bill perfectly" - but the system obliged you to list them in some sort of order. From your point of view there was no real significance in the order of these three excellent schools - you were just desperate for a place at any one of them!

To complicate things further, bear in mind there's just a chance you might get the same panel member at more than one appeal ....... :roll:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... vu#p230842" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
becs1

Post by becs1 »

I was asked at my appeal last year where I had listed the school i was appealing to on my SCAF so they really dont know how you have listed the schools. Just be honest and as etienne said you do have to put them in some order :D
colb

Discrimination

Post by colb »

I just wondered, as we do not have any grammar schools in our borough and have to apply for grammar schools in neighbouring counties. Could we state that we feel we are discriminated against, as children ( for example ) in Bucks get automatic selection if they pass 11+ .Whereas we are immediately put into a difficult and disadvantaged postition and have to go through the appeals process even when the child has recorded an excellent 11+ score ??
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

As far as the general argument is concerned, BCC has a responsibility to place children living in its administrative area (just as your LA has a responsibility to place children living in its own area).

As far as winning an appeal for a specific school is concerned, I'm afraid I don't think it will help you at all.
Etienne
colb

Post by colb »

Many thanks for your reply. Just thought I would ask as it does seem a little unfair that our LA does not have any grammar schools !

We will concentrate on a case for a specific school and give it our best shot.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

it does seem a little unfair that our LA does not have any grammar schools !
I do sympathise - but it's an issue for the electorate/LA/government, not for the appeal panel ...... :)
We will concentrate on a case for a specific school and give it our best shot.
Very wise!
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now