New Dilemma

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jemima

New Dilemma

Post by jemima »

My DC wants to change uni course..... anyone got experience of this? Bit of a shock for us after all the angst he went through to get on the course in the first place. He has an unconditional offer for another course for Sept - I'm not sure about finances etc. Should he finish this year or try and earn money? Trying to be supportive but am concerned.Was on a 5 year course and is moving to a 4 year course.
Belinda

Re: New Dilemma

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

definitely won't be the first time... used to be a problem when the LEA paid the fees and grant - if you changed after the first term, then you had to at least pay your own fees (and poss not get grant - though not sure about that) - now as you supoprt yourself and pay your own fees that is not a problem (well not a problem for the Uni anyway :roll: )
However this sounds a touch drastic and I think your DC needs to be really sure what they are opting to do?? - I seem to remember he was doing medicine - first year can be a bit trying - is he really not enjoying it ??
jemima

Post by jemima »

Medicine to music at the same uni! We are not altogether surprised as we always thought he'd do music. He has done OK with his course so far but says he can'timagine doing itfor another 4 years and then being a doctor (I don't really know what's changed as he'd had work experience.) I think he just got pulled by the music as he got very involved in it at the uni. It's probably best he realised now and not in a couple of years time.
We've asked all the questions and pointed out all the pitfalls but he is determined.
heigh ho - they continually surprise!!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

best to do the music ........ can always go back as a graduate to do medicine, but trickier to study music later.
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

I also think better to switch now before he gets so far into medicine that he feels he can't pull out. I knew a lot of unhappy medics when I was at university. It's an incredibly demanding degree -vocation even and I think it is a brave person who admits it is not for him/her.
jemima

Post by jemima »

I thought the other way round - get a career and do music as a hobby but then what do I know. I feel worried for him but can't really do anything about it. I just have to hope it works out for him. Got DC2 going to uni this year - she reassures me it will be the right course! DC3 pointed out all the pressure will be on her nowto have do a prestige course...I think she was joking and hope she knows we don't think like that:) Goodness knows whether uni will even be an option for DC4 with the loans situation!
I do think he has been brave - apparantly he has been thinking about it for a long while and some of his medic friends have been trying to talk him out of it - he still plans to rent a house with some of them next year as they get on really well.
I guess he has longer to get used to it than we have.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Plenty of doctors wish they had done something else (though TBH that is easier for them to say from a fairly secure, well paid job) - however the career can be seriously dire if you don't enjoy it.

Agreed having music as a hobby is also an option - medicine has quite a range of musicians (some better than others and this is probably not the moment to suggest you google "amateur transplants" and listen to their music ...), however still have to like the day job..

Now he has told you, when does he have to firmly commit to moving? - sometimes when the pressure is off, (having told everyone) then he can take some time to be sure that it is what he wants to do.
KB

Post by KB »

Regarding the finances - you can phone student finance yourself and get them to explain in general terms what is involved or DS can tell them to speak to you about his personal case & then they will do so.
There should be a welfare office at the Uni who can help him as well.

I guess its possible that student finance will pay out for next term if he 'makes his decision' later in the year but not if he has already decided - or it might be possible to avoid paying fees for next term altogether if he stops the course now rather than in the summer? If he is in Uni accommodation then they may charge for next term whether he is there or not.
So it might be a question of making the final decision at the most 'appropriate' time.

If you are comfortable with him adding the debt for next term & he thinks he can do OK in the end of year exams then I would advise going through with it as it will look better on his CV if he can substatiate his argument that he changed because it was what he really wanted to do - not because he couldn't manage the medicine course and was looking for an easy option. Not suggesting that is the case - just that decent exam marks this year would help his case if future potential employers raise the question.

We all want the best for our children so it must be very hard but you hear about the rates of addiction & mental health problems amongst medics so without knowing any details one can't help thinking he is doing the right thing if his heart is nolonger in it.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

A son of a friend of mine quit his university course in the February of his first year and was liable for the whole first year's tuition fees, and I think also 2 terms worth of maintenance loans. Apparently if you quit in the first term, you only pay the first term's tuition fees. I can't remember what happened with his accommodation costs as these were paid termly...I have a feeling though if someone is prepared to take over the room, he may get away with those.

As others have said though, better to make the decision now than farther down the road, good luck