Herts Appeal on non qualification

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tamilla

Herts Appeal on non qualification

Post by Tamilla »

My dd under performed on the day of the test and has been allocated a school on distance.

Grounds for appeal:

1) my bipolar which had flared at that point causing dd to be other carer of youngest dd and under stress at home - GP letter and youngest dd head teacher letter confirming this

2) dd was diagnosed with severe scalp psoriasis on the 2/12 but due to my illness hadnt picked up how bad she was feeling or noticed and husband was shouting at her for not washing hair properly grrrr and she was prescribed steroids and shampoo... flakes fell out of her head when she shook it (awkward during exam) and her head felt very sore and tight

3) head teacher preparing letter confirming dd 5's in English and Maths and high fliers for science along with her role as chair/secretary on school eco comittee and memberships of other clubs.

have we a hope in ..... or are we wasting our time. head teacher just keeps telling me how bright dd is and how she would excel anywhere but would cope with grammer etc

Good luck all with your appeals xx
Etienne

Re: Herts Appeal on non qualification

Post by Etienne »

Welcome.

For general advice see:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=15025" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(scroll down to 13a)

If the school will be oversubscribed, 13b is also relevant.

You clearly have extenuating circumstances, but is there any evidence that they affected school work?

The range of academic evidence is usually important. See:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure of the relevance of "chair/secretary on school eco comittee and memberships of other clubs" when the only issues are academic evidence and extenuating circumstances.

Some of the Herts. appeals appear to have been hard to win in the past. However, appeals can be unpredictable, and it's very difficult to assess your chances.
Etienne
Tamilla

Post by Tamilla »

Thanks Etienne x Of note we are 0.7km away from the allocated school and 0.9km away from desired school grrrrr. I have read through the topics and found them extremely helpful, I have been a lurker for a while :oops: I realise as well that herts appeals are particularly difficult to win so I am taking my dd to look round the allocated school tomorrow and am trying to big it up to her. Her head teacher has suggested we appeal on the basis that for my dd's psychological state to know that we tried our best for her is important for her.

Her school work was certainly erratic although English tends to stay the same as she hides herself in stories that she writes and books. Her school tests at that stage were certainly down on the expected results. She also tends to have problems with peers at this stage as she gets a little defensive and doesnt suffer fools gladly. I didnt realise how uncomfy she was with her hair and she was very distant and and emotional over the time.

is it ok to put the results showing they were slightly lower? I have her school report end year 5 which is glowing and mkes reference to a poem dd wrote that moved teacher so I was also going to put in a copy of the poem which makes reference to my illness. Should I take text books so they can see accross the board how her work is affected?

I also feel that the school she wants is preferable for her as the routine and structure they provide is an environment she thrives in due to the nature of my illness (which is currently controlled - but I am worried they will think do we want this nutters child in the school :oD) Also 22 of her peers were accepted into the school and where she has been allocated she will not know anyone. It helps her to have people she can confide in when things get bad but can I use this in an appeal?

ooh the school she likes has a ruling that pupils must join at least three extra curricular groups hence why I wondered if saying she already did this was worth a try?

Apologies Etienne I appreciate there are loads of us with questions ... thank you for your time ****
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I am taking my dd to look round the allocated school tomorrow and am trying to big it up to her.
Good idea to be as positive as possible about the allocated school.
Her school work was certainly erratic although English tends to stay the same as she hides herself in stories that she writes and books. Her school tests at that stage were certainly down on the expected results. ..... is it ok to put the results showing they were slightly lower?
Yes, indeed, so long as you explain that they were lower than expected.
I have her school report end year 5 which is glowing and mkes reference to a poem dd wrote that moved teacher so I was also going to put in a copy of the poem which makes reference to my illness. Should I take text books so they can see accross the board how her work is affected?
Yes, so long as it supports the argument that earlier work was better.
I also feel that the school she wants is preferable for her as the routine and structure they provide is an environment she thrives in due to the nature of my illness (which is currently controlled - but I am worried they will think do we want this nutters child in the school
Don't worry - the strongest cases at oversubscription tend to be social/medical.
Also 22 of her peers were accepted into the school and where she has been allocated she will not know anyone. It helps her to have people she can confide in when things get bad but can I use this in an appeal?
Yes.
the school she likes has a ruling that pupils must join at least three extra curricular groups hence why I wondered if saying she already did this was worth a try?
It read as if it was part of the case against non-qualification, but if it relates to oversubscription, that's fine. Ideally you need three distinct sections to your case: extenuating circumstances, academic evidence, and (if the school is oversubscribed) reasons for wanting a place there.
Apologies Etienne I appreciate there are loads of us with questions ... thank you for your time
Nothing to apologise for - we're here to try and help. :)

Good luck!
Etienne
Tamilla

Post by Tamilla »

Thanks Etienne xx some great advice for me to chew over !! I have a note book and am writing thoughts etc in it which eventually I will use to compile the actual appeal - its very theraputic believe it or not.

best wishes x
tense

Post by tense »

Tamilla wrote:Of note we are 0.7km away from the allocated school and 0.9km away from desired school
Hi Tamilla

You're very close to the school you want - perhaps a place will come up off the distance waiting list? I suppose it's too early to know where you are on the list yet?

Am intrigued by the "must join three clubs" thing! I didn't come across this when looking around this year - is this one the SW consortium schools?

Good luck!
Tamilla

Post by Tamilla »

Hiya Tense

Yup for the school DD wants it is a rule and something she does at her current school. I will let you know if we have any luck on distance x
WP

Post by WP »

tense wrote:Am intrigued by the "must join three clubs" thing! I didn't come across this when looking around this year - is this one the SW consortium schools?
That's the girls' school.

Just to point out that technically this isn't a non-qualification appeal, as the school is using rank order of scores as an oversubscription criterion. It's true that appeals in this neck of the woods are difficult, but it won't harm your chances on the waiting list, and as Etienne always says, anything can happen at appeal. You should also be able to get an audit report from the school, which will tell you how far off you are on the waiting lists.
Tamilla

Post by Tamilla »

Thanks for the info WP. We are actually on the same road as said flippin school which is the really frustrating bit!!! I am waiting to see what we find out from CI lists on Monday but I have requested an audit so will wait patiently although not holding my breath grrrrr

Its quite demoralising knowing that herts appeal's are notoriuosly hard to win but I have discussed this with dd's headteacher who has said its really about DD knowing we tried for her and anything else is a positive and discovering how highly thought of dd is amongst staff is a real boost !x
Tamilla

Post by Tamilla »

Just thought I would update after all your great advice. We have an appeal date (19th May). My appeal is now done and all docs have been sent through to county.

I have made the case as strong as I can with GP evidence, glowing headteacher evidence (inc 5's in all (inc science) but maths but evidence of why that is 4a SATs prediction and she is working to a 5). Loads of her school work, her fabulous school reports and school certificates and anything I thought may be relevant to be honest hehe. It has been extremely theraputic as a process and to know she is such a well thought of child has been a great comfort.

I now have a wonderful friend coming to the appeal with me and am confident that whatever the outcome I could do absolutely no more and we will move forward knowing that when we have the outcome.

I will let you all know what happens good or bad and also post in the sticky as I notice there are not a lot of reports from herts appeals.

x
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now