Ed pysch report

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest400

Ed pysch report

Post by Guest400 »

hi, was considering going down this route but am shocked at the price - £425 for an assessment - is this normal? Obviously worth every penny if it would make a difference but what a lot of money, I just don't think I can go there. What does anyone else think about this?
Bo Peep

Post by Bo Peep »

Wow that is a lot. :cry:

I think I remember reading on the site (probably Etienne saying it) that the those who succeed with one probably think it is worth every penny and those who fail with one probably feel it was a waste of time and money.

I also think I remember someone (Etienne?) saying that there are no guarantees - the report may be taken into consideration or it might not...it really depends on your panel on the day - so if you can afford it it's worth a chance, but if you can't then you shouldn't rob a bank or anything. Not that you (or I!) would. :roll:

But others may think differently - I'd be happy to be wrong.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Guest400

Around £400 is very much the norm, I'm afraid. What are you hoping the report will prove or disprove?

Sally-Anne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

For that you will get a whole morning of testing covering a wide range of specific learning dificulties. You will then get a full 50 page report - it compares very well with other professions

Post by Guest »

Unfortunately it is a lot of money and that is the going rate. Our report was not for an appeal and we dithered trying the LEA route first which was a waste of time (child has dyslexia). My husband borrowed the money from his parents in the end. Definitely worth every penny, I wish we had done it a lot sooner.
Guest400

Post by Guest400 »

Sally-Anne wrote:Hi Guest400

Around £400 is very much the norm, I'm afraid. What are you hoping the report will prove or disprove?

Sally-Anne
Hello Sally-Anne, would welcome your opinion. My child failed 11 plus by about 5 marks, which I suppose is a lot in terms of those who were nearer. However, we do have strong supporting back up from his head teacher, class teacher plus various bits of supporting paperwork. I just thought anything extra may help but it is a risk isn't it for that money! I can imagine it - "no he's average"! Straight in the bin! I would also have the additional problem of telling him why he's there as he doesn't know we are going to appeal. Oh the injustice of it all, there were so many children that passed in his school that have been behind him in all his tests for the last 5 years, I could cry thinking about it. I am not sure I could afford it really and I am also not sure what I am hoping she would say, I would want "HE'S A GENIUS" for that money! Seriously, I don't even know much about what the report is all about, need to do a bit more research. I know one thing, £425 for 1.5 hours work - I am in the wrong job that's for sure, I don't earn that in a week!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Guest400

Well, I can certainly say that I sympathise with your position, as I've had the same dilemma with my son over some years now!

An Ed Psych will give you three fundamental things:

1. An assessment of his intelligence.
2. A diagnosis of any "disorder". (There is such a range of "disorders" out there these days that only an Ed Psych would have the expertise to diagnose most of them. The exception is dyspraxia, which can be diagnosed by a Consultant Paediatrician on the NHS.)
3. A deeper understanding of his strengths and weaknesses.

You already have good evidence of his intelligence from the school, and at an Appeal that will count for as much as an "IQ assessment" from an Ed Psych.

As far as "disorders" go, some simple questions: Have you ever suspected that your child was different from other children in any way? Have his teachers ever suggested that he is either exceptionally good or bad in any area of his work? Have they ever muttered words like dyslexia or dyspraxia at you at a parents evening? If your gut feeling is that there is something interfering with his academic performance, then you will be doing him a service by having him checked out. There is no need to disclose the results to anyone if you don't want to, but of course he could also get extra support in future to compensate for his difficulty.

Lastly, strengths and weaknesses. This might (and only might) shine a blinding light on why he didn't perform. However, with strong academic evidence, it seems unlikely that his ability is particularly constrained in some way - certainly not enough to explain away a gap of a few marks.
The exception would be if he underperformed on either a VR or NVR paper, as they are intuitive rather than learned skills (supposedly!). An Ed Psych might be able to prove that his brain works and learns in such a way that he would never excel in either of those, but that this will have no effect on his ability to shine at a selective school.

And that brings me back to my son! We know from a test for dyspraxia that was done years ago that he has one particular strength, and that strength is a directly opposite skill to VR. Hence the ongoing struggle of the 12+.

We have elected so far not to have an Ed Psych report done, because our son is happy, achieves high marks at school and I don't believe that the report would demonstrate anything that his schoolwork doesn't provide already. There are probably plenty of kids who did manage to pass the 11+ who have the same "opposite skill", so I don't believe that fact would make the critical difference at an appeal.

One person's experience though! I hope at least you feel a bit better informed.

Best wishes
Sally-Anne
Guest400

Post by Guest400 »

Sally-Anne - thanks for your reply. I have followed this site for so long now and have found it very helpful. In all honesty, I don't feel there is anything wrong, my son like many others was simply nervous and tired on the day I believe it is that simple. He finished ahead of 12 other children who passed in his school in the pre exam mock, he is absolutely devastated at not attending the local grammar with all his mates. I feel so sad for him which makes me even more determined to give this appeal my best. I think I would rather spend the £425 on a new games console to cheer him up to be honest! Night Night. ps I am not up to date on your son, are you going for 12+? I wish you all the luck in the world (cos I am beginning that is what is comes down to a lot of the time).
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hope you're already tucked up and fast asleep Guest 400! I still need a quick rehab check before I turn in.

I think you are probably right - the games console will do more for him than an Ed Psych. I do hope that the Appeal turns out well for you. Just keep all that academic evidence up front and just say that he was nervous and tired on the day.

We are going for the 12+, and it is next Wednesday.

We shall see! :roll:

Sally-Anne
Guest400

Post by Guest400 »

no still up, trying to catch up on some work from home. This site is certainly very addictive! I will be thinking of you next week, all the very best. How does 12 plus work, am I right in thinking you are on a waiting list and as and when a place becomes available they re-test all those children on it? I feel for you, and all of us. Everything is crossed for you x
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now