Missing letter type questions- technique advise

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Goldens Mum

Missing letter type questions- technique advise

Post by Goldens Mum »

DD doesn't have too many probs with VR so far (only just started gently preparing for Kendrick, she is in year 4), but today she she has really struggled with a particular type of question.
As an example
Bea ( _ _ ) ips fill in the two letters to make two words, in this case CH, to give beach and chips
This one she managed, but she just couldn't see the others at all.
The one letter version she has no probs with and if she can't see it straight away she works through the alphabet until she gets it. That technique doesn't really work for the two letter version. The Bond How to do VR doesn't really give a technique that helped either and not much extra practice for her.

Do these come up in Kendrick exam, does any one have a technique that might help and where can I find some extras for her to have a go at?
Thanks
GB
Sally-Anne

Re: Missing letter type questions- technique advise

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Goldens Mum

I believe that the Kendrick exam is GL Assessment, 21 types, standard (not multiple choice) format. http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... us/reading" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If so, the good news is this types will only have one missing letter, in the format:

BREA (?) IPPER SIL (?) ING

Hopefully that will suit your daughter's skills.

Bond are not appropriate practice materials for GL Assessment papers - you can find the appropriate materials here: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =12&t=4782" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; The recommendations are for Bucks, but they apply to the GL Assessment papers anywhere.

Sally-Anne
Goldens Mum

Post by Goldens Mum »

Thanks. If they aren't covered in the Kendrick exam, I'll not worry about them and more importantly, let DD know that she doesn't have to either.
I know that Bond isn't necessarily the best for Kendrick, but I'm not planning to start 'real' preparation until she starts year 5. I'm using the ten minute tests as a means of getting her into the habit of doing some practise every week and help improve vocab as much as anything else.

What I don't understand though is why the Bond series isn't suitable for Kendrick. Does it cover too many types, too few or the wrong ones. Does this apply to both VR and NVR?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Goldens Mum wrote:What I don't understand though is why the Bond series isn't suitable for Kendrick. Does it cover too many types, too few or the wrong ones.
Too many types, and many of them the wrong ones for GL Assessment VR.
Does this apply to both VR and NVR?
NVR tends to be more similar across practice materials. At a quick glance the Bond books seem to cover the same ground as GL Assessment, but I am not an expert in NVR. A Berks or NVR person will hopefully answer that for you.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Bond NVR for Kendrick is fine, the only grey area being the dreaded nets of cubes.

We will be using the AE How to do NVR books, no nets. :)

As it's NFER I don't think nets will come up, maybe a NVR expert from another NFER region could offer an opinion?

Having said that we will do some gentle :lol: nets of cubes.

For VR the 35 types (and sub-types) in Susan D's books 1-4 are the way to go. :wink:

Although not relevant the missing two letters might help with a number of questions where you have to look for changes in "phonics", the sh, ch, kn, th, etc combinations. For example I always remember the horrible Slit Her, slither and my kids enjoy the Fat Her, father. Similar examples occur in the hidden word questions and other types.
moved

Post by moved »

I've only taught a bit of NVR as a tutor, but DD found NVR very hard and the dreaded nets really opened up her mind to the NVR way of thinking. Once we had spent a while cutting, drawing and folding something in her head seemed to switch on!
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

moved wrote:Once we had spent a while cutting, drawing and folding something in her head seemed to switch on!
We had a similar experience, maybe it was when 11+ moved into fun, interactive and 3D mode. :lol:
Goldens Mum

Post by Goldens Mum »

The Susan D books are on the shopping list for later, thanks to Steve's advice on a different thread. However we are also looking at a couple of Indies as back up. They both use reasoning tests as well as testing maths and english and I currently have no idea what they might do so, so Bond may help any way.
DD had an issue with cubes initially. I think it was because up to that point she was finding NVR easy. When she came up against cubes and couldn't see them straight away, this made them 'difficult'. However we went through a couple, and then it clicked and she then went on to complete the set with no probs.