Entrance to Reading School 2011 which schools did well

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

avs

Entrance to Reading School 2011 which schools did well

Post by avs »

Does anyone have information on which primary/prep snooks did well this year for entrance to Reading School and Kendrick?
Goldens Mum

Re: Entrance to Reading School 2011 which schools did well

Post by Goldens Mum »

I've heard that 11 boys took the test at my DDs school and 2 got in. Not sure whether that is good or not. Don't know about Kendrick.
If it helps I think last year it was 4 boys and 5 girls or there abouts. PM me if you want the name of the school though, I don't particularly want to post it here.
R3ad1ngDad

Post by R3ad1ngDad »

Sons primary school in part of reading 2 out of 4 boys got into Reading - no girls took kendrick - PM if you want school name but our sone had no tutor and i do not believe the other boy did either but both got did well in Mathematical Association Primary maths challenge if it helps
cestlavie

Post by cestlavie »

I'm not sure why you are asking for this information? Some schools do well some years and not others, it depends on the cohort of kids. If the test really does pick out the bright children, which I suspect (or at least sincerely hope) that it does, then this information should be irrelevant? I have found this site to be useful in terms of the information that some posters have generously given on the test format and content and would prefer that people do not try to "use" the system to do otherwise.

Regardless, I personally think that posts that suggest that one aspect e.g. maths indicators/levels, are an overall assessment of ability are misleading, the test is more general than that and there seems to be a bit of gloating going on. Here I talk from some experience, at least in higher education where I work (and with a maths background), of how parents, in particular, get rather the wrong end of the stick. There may well be a small number of children posted here that are gifted in mathematics but I know from experience that this particular skill can appear to manifest in high scores at primary and early secondary level and subsequently collapse, during the years from 11 to 18 and beyond. Maths has a tendency to hit a "wall" at different ages, fantastic as an interesting subject for those that are able to pursue it to a high level but equally unpredictable at the age of 10/11. If the test doesn't go beyond this, then the system is failing. But I do have some faith that a) the Reading test is more general in addressing language as well as mathematical ability, b) that the teachers at all schools appreciate the different skills that boys have and the different rates that they develop and c) that bright children will do well regardless provided they have the support at home. Parents should therefore consider what is best for their child in choosing a school, especially during the formative years of primary education. And those that post saying that your child should be perfoming at "x" level to get a place at any school are misleading and shouldn't distract you from what you think is best knowing your own child's ability and preferences.
R3ad1ngDad

Post by R3ad1ngDad »

I said about maths as the head of maths at Reading school told us the exams favoured those with a maths bias. Our son had had no tutoring AT ALL for 11+ in fact we purposely had him doing non academic things for the last 2 years to try and improve his social skills. he is not on the G & T register as i didnt know it existed until seeing this site - but it is a fact he was tested by a secondary as being at level 8a in maths and we were told by Reading that their style of tests tended to favour those with a mathematically adept mind
Rboydad

Post by Rboydad »

Out of 11 people who took the Reading/Kendrick exams, 6 were offered places, 2 put them as second choices (but they still passed) and out of the 3 who didn't get through, 1 just missed out because of his age. I'm not sure if this is good or not, but I'm guessing it is okay.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now