Slough, Langley, Tiffin?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

munch

Slough, Langley, Tiffin?

Post by munch »

Hello all, I'm new to this but what a fantastic way to have light shed on a topic!
My son is currently preparing for his 11+ for entry in 2012. I'm not really sure what schools to put down as I'm interested in Langley & Slough Grammars (are they the 2 better ones?) but also Tiffins. I live in Ashford. We have only 3 choices in Surrey for schools although I understand there has been a consultation process on this unfairness and a decision is awaited.
Can anyone give me any help as to how I should be ordering my preferences? Especially if we are stuck with only 3 choices?
My son is the oldest. He is doing well on VR and okay on NVR but the Maths is making me pull my hair out as the work is 2 years ahead of the national curriculum and takes soooo much of my time to expalin it before he can do it!
Thank you.
veryworriedmum

Re: Slough, Langley, Tiffin?

Post by veryworriedmum »

Hi munch,

I think if you have three choices the best way to do this would be:
Tiffins, Langley and Slough Grammar. The first two schools are only merit schools....no catchment and papers of a slightly higher difficulty level. If by any chance he doesn't get any closer to the cut off mark in these schools he can get into slough grammar whose papers are of an easy level. BTW there is only VR and NVR for these schools. There is no maths. My ds just passed the 11 plus in these schools and was offered a place at Slough Grammar! Good luck to you and your son! Hope this helps

Best Wishes
veryworriedmum
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

Hi Munch

But you also need to consider what you would do if your child didn't pass any exam. It may be you have a fall back indi, but otherwise you would be wise to consider which non-selective you could put down - otherwise you could be offered something you really don't want! :roll:
harrow123

Post by harrow123 »

Slough grammar will become part of slough consortium from this year, so there will be only one common 11+ test for slough grammar,langley grammar,st bernanard,herschel grammar.

no maths

langley grammar generally needs mark of 118 and slough grammar needs few marks less but need a minimum of 111
munch

Post by munch »

veryworriedmum wrote:Hi munch,

I think if you have three choices the best way to do this would be:
Tiffins, Langley and Slough Grammar. The first two schools are only merit schools....no catchment and papers of a slightly higher difficulty level. If by any chance he doesn't get any closer to the cut off mark in these schools he can get into slough grammar whose papers are of an easy level. BTW there is only VR and NVR for these schools. There is no maths. My ds just passed the 11 plus in these schools and was offered a place at Slough Grammar! Good luck to you and your son! Hope this helps

Best Wishes
veryworriedmum
Thanks for that veryworriedmum. Congrats for getting through! We are doing maths as we are told it does feature to an extent in the VR, and also it is handy if we have to fall back on the indep school option. I really could do without it though-it is causing severe stress in our house!!
I could do with a few more choices as these 3 don't leave room for a state school if all fails..
munch

Post by munch »

Booklady wrote:Hi Munch

But you also need to consider what you would do if your child didn't pass any exam. It may be you have a fall back indi, but otherwise you would be wise to consider which non-selective you could put down - otherwise you could be offered something you really don't want! :roll:

Thanks for that Booklady. Surrey expect to have a decision after 22/3 re offering more than 3 choices but I'm told this has come up twice before and failed to go through so I'm not hopeful. Only 2 options between all the grammars in slough plus tiffins doesn't seem adequate.
munch

Post by munch »

harrow123 wrote:Slough grammar will become part of slough consortium from this year, so there will be only one common 11+ test for slough grammar,langley grammar,st bernanard,herschel grammar.

no maths

langley grammar generally needs mark of 118 and slough grammar needs few marks less but need a minimum of 111
thanks for that harrow123. Is Herschel a separate school or is it another name for Langley? I can't seem to get to the bottom of that one. am I right in thinking the slough consortium will still not help me as I still have to choose a maximum of 2 between slough and tiffin with the 3rd having to be a state school?
harrow123

Post by harrow123 »

munch wrote:
harrow123 wrote:Slough grammar will become part of slough consortium from this year, so there will be only one common 11+ test for slough grammar,langley grammar,st bernanard,herschel grammar.

no maths

thanks for that harrow123. Is Herschel a separate school or is it another name for Langley? I can't seem to get to the bottom of that one. am I right in thinking the slough consortium will still not help me as I still have to choose a maximum of 2 between slough and tiffin with the 3rd having to be a state school?
herschel grammar school is a separate school and langley grammar is separte, google it and you should get it.

yes, slough consortium will not be of any help as you may still have to choose 1 slough, 1tiffin and 1 comp school.

but one exam will be less if slough grammar becomes part of slough consortium

if you are preparing ur DC for indie as fall back then better prepare the child in english/maths/vr/nvr thouroughly
munch

Post by munch »

harrow123 wrote:
munch wrote:

no maths

herschel grammar school is a separate school and langley grammar is separte, google it and you should get it.

yes, slough consortium will not be of any help as you may still have to choose 1 slough, 1tiffin and 1 comp school.

but one exam will be less if slough grammar becomes part of slough consortium

if you are preparing ur DC for indie as fall back then better prepare the child in english/maths/vr/nvr thouroughly
Do you mean that the schools in the consortium will have the identical exam but have different marks? If you score very highly can you get into one of the better schools even if you haven't ticked it as a preference? Which school is not in the slough consortium?