CRGS 13 plus

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Minesatea

CRGS 13 plus

Post by Minesatea »

CRGS offers 4 (sometimes more) places at year 9. Can anyone give me some idea of the numbers that sit this 13+ each year?

Are there any disadvantages to joining at this time?
KB

Re: CRGS 13 plus

Post by KB »

Sorry don't know how many sit for year 9 entry - try emailing the exams officer (Mr Livingstone) at the school?

There have been some people on the forum in the past who have been happy with DSs joining in year 9.
The forms are mixed up between year 8 & year 9 anyway & some subjects are set so I imagine that makes it easier than going in to a form that has been together since year 7.

They do have to study Latin in year 9 so that could be an issue. And they play rugby in a pretty major way :)

I guess having an interest in one of the major activities at the school might help to fit in & make friends (rugby, drama & associated backstage skills, music, choir, public speaking, engineering projects.. are ones that come immediately to mind) but there are lots of 'minority' activities going on as well.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Thanks. I am asking for a friend who's son just missed out last year. The Rugby won't be a problem but the Latin would.
My son is currently year 8 and I am assuming they use this years end of year exams to determine the maths and french sets, I wonder how they decide where to put the new boys? Presumably coming from a school which doesn't do French would be a problem too as DS seems to think it is compulsary at GCSE?
KB

Post by KB »

Sorry - wasn't paying proper attention!

Imagine French could be more of a problem than Latin as it is compulsory to GCSE whereas Latin would only be for a year.
Also - think that the entrance exam may include French?

I would advise that they phone the school and ask to speak to the correct member of staff so they get the info. direct and can check on the lack of Latin & French. There is some info in the prospectus I think. I imagine a major issue with transferring from a comprehensive is whether they have kept pace - especially in Science, with the way it is now taught at CRGS. Could need to consider more coaching.....

Imagine with the sets they will make an 'educated guess' based on the entrance exam & report from the previous school. The year 9 sets are not totally fixed (a few boys moved Maths set last term)and they change again for year 10 anyway. Because it is so highly selective the setting isn't such a big deal. I heard of someone who was set 3 (of 4) for French & got A* at GCSE for example :)
Since the 13+ entry is a regular thing I am sure they have the setting issue sorted.

Sorry again for mis-reading your original post/not paying attention to who was posting!
moved

Post by moved »

I would recommend extra coaching. The only pupils, I know of, who have joined a GS at a later date had extensive coaching prior to taking the exam. Year 9 is a normal joining point for private schools so there are a lot of resources available.

I have used papers from Bromsgrove School, Dulwich College, Emanuel School, The Perse School, Haberdashers' Aske's Boys’ School, City of London, Oundle and Kent College, Pembury.
I found 35 papers when I was looking.

The old SATs papers are useful too. These are available from the emaths website.

The ISEB also produces packs of papers for schools/parents who are preparing children for common entrance.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Thanks, I will pass this advice on. As her son won't start french until start of year 8, I think this is going to be his major problem.

KB - I didn't make myself clear originally, sorry!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now