Shortcuts/quick tips?

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
lexym

Shortcuts/quick tips?

Post by lexym »

We are out of catchment (Beds -Leighton Buzzard) and I am tutoring DD at the moment. I'm concerned though, that although I'm capable of teaching the methods, I won't be able to offer any of the shortcuts/quick tips that an experienced tutor might be able to suggest. Should I be concerned? I'm not sure that I have many other options- I don't know anyone else considering the 11+ (although to be fair I haven't told anyone that we're doing it) and so don't know anyone who can recommend a tutor anyway. Will shortcuts become obvious to me?
chicko-mum

Re: Shortcuts/quick tips?

Post by chicko-mum »

Hi there
There are lots of useful tips in many of the threads, you could try doing a search for a particular question type you want help on.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =12&t=4782" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =3&t=15404" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't know if these are relevant to you - hopefully yes :D I'm sure you will pick up your own tips and the shortcuts/methodologies that work best for you and your DC as you become more familiar with the different question types. Good luck!
lexym

Post by lexym »

That's great. Thank you
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Just a few timesaving tips off the top of my head:

Type C codes - only work out the number of letters needed (usually the first three).

Types P (number sequences) and L (codes) - if you can't work it out, it's probably an alternating code - especially if the string looks particularly long

Type C, U and L codes - if you can't work it out by counting letters, it could be a mirror code (AZ, BY etc.)

Type B, D, E, H, Q, S - work directly from the answer sheet.

Type Z questions - circle question number and leave to the end (I also tell mine to turn down the corner of the page :oops: so that they can find it again quickly)

Also regarding type Z - It's a good idea to establish what information is actually needed before starting on the diagram. There's no point itemizing all the specific things purchased in the restaurant ("e.g. Catherine ordered bacon and beans, William ordered a cheese roll, etc. etc." ) if the question only asks who bought the most items, for which a simple tally will do.

Type Z (again) - if it's the type that says "only one of the following statements is true", once you've identified that statement, there's no need to try the other possibilities (unless there's time and you want to double-check).

If you really can't answer a question, circle the number on the question sheet (and fold down the page corner so you can find it more quickly later), mark an answer anyway (see below) and move on.

Finally, if you absolutely have to guess any answers after working through all your strategies (eliminating wrong answers etc), then choose all of the same answer rather than randomly selecting. This applies whether you answer a block of questions at the end or individual questions during the test. I have found that answer "D" (or the 4th answer) seems to work best for this, for some peculiar reason. :?

These are just a few off the top of my head, I'm sure you'll get more suggestions. Mods - would this be better under Verbal Reasoning? :)

Edited to add: agree with Chicko-Mum, some great tips in those threads (I think I picked up most of mine there! :) )
Last edited by Marylou on Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Marylou
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I will move it to VR, Marylou.

Some more for you, lexym - and there are plenty of others if you scroll down through the threads on the VR section.

Type A: If you can't sport it immediately, check each letter against the last of the four words. Authors often make the options work for the first two or three words, but then not the next one or two. That is a time-waster. If a letter works with the last word, try it with the other three. There is only ever one letter that works with all four words, so once you have found it, move on - don't bother to check the rest.

Types B, D & H: Circle what you are being asked for (closest, opposite, odd ones out) and quickly refer back to it before answering each question so you don't get tripped up by same meanings in opposite questions, etc.

Type K: If you can't spot it immediately, try writing it down as a sum, e.g. (9 [17] 25) becomes 9_17_ = 25.

Type P: Three immediate checks before starting. Are there square numbers present, e.g. 121, 100, 81, 64, etc? Do the numbers go up and down? If so it is likely to be every other one, especially if it is a long sequence. Is it a Fibonacci sequences, e.g. 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13. (The first added to the second makes the third, etc.

Type N: Always solve the number question first because if you don't get a real word you know you have made a mistake.

Types O & R: If the letter has two (or more) possibilities, just put a "dash" _ as you would for a game of Hangman. Chances are that you will be able to solve the question without needing to decide on what the letter is.

All number types: Turn division sums around and make them times tables instead, e.g. 48/6 = ?, becomes "Six times something equals 48". That draws on rote-learned tables in memory.

All vocab types: Even if you aren't sure of the answer, you will be able to rule out options that you know can't be right. Make the best guess you can from what is left.
patricia

Post by patricia »

And the most important tip.

MAKE NOTES

Its quicker in the long run to write it down, do not keep numbers and letters in your head. Get it written down.

Whenever a child makes a silly mistake the majority of the time its because they have failed to write it down.

Patricia
lexym

Post by lexym »

Thank you so much MaryLou and Sally-Anne. I appreciate your help. I'm sure we'll 'speak' again.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now