Levels after year 6

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
veryworriedmum

Levels after year 6

Post by veryworriedmum »

Hello everyone!

I had a question about levels. After year 6 If a child achieves all level 5s in SATS, which levels he would be expected to attain at the year of year 7. I've heard if a child moves on to a Grammar school from a state school he usually struggles in Year 7.....Is this true? Which are the levels he should be aiming for to get a good result for his GCSE?

Any thoughts or words of advice from your experience greatly appreciated!

Thanks again

veryworriedmum
yoyo123

Re: Levels after year 6

Post by yoyo123 »

I've heard if a child moves on to a Grammar school from a state school he usually struggles in Year 7.....
depends on the child and the school obviously but generally speaking no it;s not true
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

yoyo123 wrote:
I've heard if a child moves on to a Grammar school from a state school he usually struggles in Year 7.....
depends on the child and the school oviously but generally speaking no it;s not true

certainly not the case at the local GS where I think >90% came from state schools
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

No! From DS's experience I would say the opposite.

The levels vary from subject to subject depending on whether it was taught at primary level. So whereas DS had a target of 6 for maths, his french target was 4, as this was a new language for him.
Sakura

Post by Sakura »

Maths is the only subject which allowed children to achieve up to Level 8 in SATs.
So if your DC is aiming A*/A in GCSE, it's ideal to reach Level 6 in Year 7, Level 7 in Year 8, Level 8 in Year 9.
I suppose gap between able and not so able in Maths will be wider as kids get older.
But surely it doesn't apply to any other subjects.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Sakura wrote:Maths is the only subject which allowed children to achieve up to Level 8 in SATs.
So if your DC is aiming A*/A in GCSE, it's ideal to reach Level 6 in Year 7, Level 7 in Year 8, Level 8 in Year 9.
I suppose gap between able and not so able in Maths will be wider as kids get older.
But surely it doesn't apply to any other subjects.

My dd was still at level5 in maths at the end of year 7 - did jump to a level7 at the end of year 8 and acheived a GCSE A grade a year early - so its an individual thing and i dont think people should worry that their dc wont do well in the GCSE maths just because they arent a level6 at the end of year 7.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Actually I echo what tiredmum says about not getting too caught up in SAT levels, although it is incredibly hard. All manner of things could influence GCSE results, not least the DC's sudden lack of willingness to do well while turning in to 'Kevin the teenager'!

There is a difference between level 5 in KS2 & KS3 which seems mad. I would be more inclined, and tell myself this very often, to look at the progress. If DS is making some good progress then I am happy, if there is none or very little then I want to know why.

Hopefully our DC will do their very best, then I can't complain. (although you should hear me nagging DS1 about his need to pull his finger out with his A levels, and scoffing at his predicted A in Maths when 'I know' he should get an A* :oops: )

Note to self: Practice what you preach......
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
andyb

Post by andyb »

veryworriedmum wrote:I had a question about levels. After year 6 If a child achieves all level 5s in SATS, which levels he would be expected to attain at the year of year 7. I've heard if a child moves on to a Grammar school from a state school he usually struggles in Year 7.....Is this true?
DS's GS only give SATs levels for Maths. He finished Y6 level 5 and over the last 18 months has fluctuated between a 6b and 7a - the boys are tested at the end of each topic and given a grade relating to that topic only.

That's the first time I've ever heard that state school boys usually struggle when they get to GS :shock: . It has definitely not been our experience. In fact, I think it's worthy of the "myths and legends" sticky!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Our GS sets them targets for the end of KS3 in year 7 based on cats tests done in the sept of year 7. They are levels 6, 7 etc subdivided into a,b,c etc. They are tracked against these levels each term.
scary mum
veryworriedmum

Post by veryworriedmum »

Thanks everyone for your words of experience! Really appreciate your help and support! Thank you ever so much for sharing!

best wishes to all

veryworriedmum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now