Bond Guides/ workbooks

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
fatbananas

Bond Guides/ workbooks

Post by fatbananas »

Hello, Can anyone tell me if the Bond Guides to the Secrets of Writing and to the Secrets of Comprehension are worth getting? Will they help me understand what the aims/ target levels are, ultimately, for the 11+? Are there any other books in this area that anyone can recommend?

TIA! :)
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
um

Re: Bond Guides/ workbooks

Post by um »

I found 'Quick Fix for Year Six' Comprehension, the best guide. It is a SATS guide not an 11 plus guide, but if you are working with children who need to go right back to the basics of comprehension and build up their skills, it is useful.
I was disappointed by Bond comprehension guide to be honest, but it has some useful exercises for practice.
11+ novice

Post by 11+ novice »

I agree with um the bond secrets of comprehension is not what u would expect out of Bond! If u know what i mean! My DS still struggles with comprehension, even though he has improved leaps and bounds, i still feel he needs a lot of improvement. Maybe quick fix for year six comprehension is the solution for him. There are good reviews of this book by a couple of teachers as well. Thanks um for recommending this book!
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thanks for that advice. I'm finding I'm spending a lot on this kind of thing, so it's good to avoid paying for a dud if I can. :)
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Hi, not wanting to cause confusion but 'The secrets of comprehension' was great for us! We looked at it in the summer of Y6 for DD2 and it seemed to help. Both my DDs had a tendency just to answer the question and it really helped them to understand that that was not what was required. However, of course, it does very much depend on what schools you are applying for and what their exams are based on and how they are formatted. Good luck. :D
mad?