Don't worry, I'll be brief !

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scarlett

Don't worry, I'll be brief !

Post by scarlett »

Just an update on my dd reading recovery scheme. She doesn't have to do it ! She hasn't actually started....I took her off the schools reading scheme :oops: and started her on the Osborne reading book scheme which have lovely books that really captured her imagination and she has read these avidly coupled with learning all the key words etc at home....she was assessed at school today and has a reading age of a 8 yr 2 month old (she is 6 yr 7 months ) and even her teacher is now questioning herself and why she felt she needed to be on it !

Anyway, sorry to bore you all again....but I am chuffed with my dd and with myself too !!! :) That's that crisis over ...until the next one, that is !

Thanks for all your support and advice everyone ....it really helps to know other people have the same worries and can steer you in the right direction. :)
Ed's mum

Re: Don't worry, I'll be brief !

Post by Ed's mum »

That's a super result Scarlett.
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

Sounds like your DD is doing great, Scarlett. Are you able to say which reading scheme the school were using that I'm guessing you weren't keen on :D ?

What's the Osbourne book scheme? I'm trying to get my DD3 started with reading but don't particularly want to do the one the school will use.

Well done for getting the result you want and getting your DD out of the reading recovery, its great that the school have taken notice of her obvious ability.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

The reading scheme was the floppy etc books...which I like intially as there are lots of hidden details in the pictures and the children seem to enjoy them...but it is the other books that seem to come with them which my children just found boring and coupled with staying on a particular book for weeks...reading just wasn't fun !

If you look on the Osborne site there is a reading level bit which has been put together by an educational expert and explains which book suitable for which age etc. I just started with these because they are just nice, appealing books...good pictures and classic stories such as some Charles Dickens, The Secret Garden, Wizard Of Oz, Alice In Wonderland/Through the looking glass etc...My dd has now started to pick a book up because she wants to rather then because she has to read 3 pages every night for school!
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Sorry everyone...not Osborne...Usborne !!!!!!! :oops:
pist

Post by pist »

scarlett wrote:The reading scheme was the floppy etc books...which I like intially as there are lots of hidden details in the pictures and the children seem to enjoy them...but it is the other books that seem to come with them which my children just found boring and coupled with staying on a particular book for weeks...reading just wasn't fun !
GOSH! - I don't blame you - I loved those for my little ones - but they had 3-5 home per week! (and had them finished before end of reception) Schools really do things quite differently!!! Reading the same book for ages would put most kids off reading i think - no matter which scheme.

:D Well done to you and your daughter! - She should now be able to read loads of different types of books which will hopefully keep the fire burning. :D :D :D
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

often a lack of adults to listen to children read, can be a big problem.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Yes, I think so too, Yoyo....however I did help out with reading at our school for 2 afternoons which took up a lot of my time with working as well etc and it gradually changed to me helping out with other things instead such as pe :shock: ( Think having to make the mannerisms of a grizzly bear etc whilst sporting a red face .....and bad back....)
mystery

Post by mystery »

Hi Scarlett

Well done!! Those Usborne books do look delightful. We have a big pink compilation of fairy stories for girls which DD1 loves. I haven't achieved the same success yet with DD1 picking up books herself at any old time. It happens sometimes. But I know she can, and she loves reading to me, out of books of her choice at bedtime (including tomes of Enid Blyton), so maybe we'll get there one day!

Crazy as it sounds, your school sounds more sensible than mine! The teacher sounds happy to reconsider. At ours I think they have now decided my DD has a comprehension problem, can't really read (she's just remembering words), and is just "barking at the page", and that her spelling is a problem (despite her spelling age being quite a bit above her chronological age).

DD1 had reading age test at start of year 2 and it was the same result - "8 years 2 mths, she can be a free reader now". Butat the same time she was placed in a phonics group on set 3 pink stories of Read Write Inc (suitable for end of reception age). Then a few weeks later she was moved down a group for literacy, and also I discovered the guided reading books she has are picture books with one or two sentences at the bottom.

Had to make a big big fuss for months and months and now she has been promoted, but still not off the phonics groups, and still silly guided reading.

So well done Scarlett for all the hard work at home, and realisation maybe dawning at school that they got something wrong.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

scarlett wrote:The reading scheme was the floppy etc books...which I like intially as there are lots of hidden details in the pictures and the children seem to enjoy them...but it is the other books that seem to come with them which my children just found boring and coupled with staying on a particular book for weeks...reading just wasn't fun !

If you look on the Osborne site there is a reading level bit which has been put together by an educational expert and explains which book suitable for which age etc. I just started with these because they are just nice, appealing books...good pictures and classic stories such as some Charles Dickens, The Secret Garden, Wizard Of Oz, Alice In Wonderland/Through the looking glass etc...My dd has now started to pick a book up because she wants to rather then because she has to read 3 pages every night for school!
Slightly OT but interesting that what these have in common is something for children to look for which helps them to focus their attention on the book. We loved looking for the pair of glasses in the MK books, and always had a good laugh when we spotted the school caretaker (chap with ginger hair and glasses) who seemed to pop up in all the stories somewhere or other! The Usborne books all have a little yellow duck hidden somewhere in the pictures - is this the same with their reading scheme books? They sound very good if they retell classic stories, which I think can sometimes be a bit neglected these days.
Marylou