WHSB

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
happydaddy

WHSB

Post by happydaddy »

Guys Hi

Have been asked by a friend does anyone know what the cut off point for WHSB was her son was ranked 220 out of catchment.

Thanks.
howlongtogo

Re: WHSB

Post by howlongtogo »

Not sure what the cut off point is but I do know a boy at my son's school who got WHSB is not taking the place now.

Hope this helps whoever is first on the waiting list.
natnats

Post by natnats »

There seems to be a preference for inborough children to choose SHSB rather than WHSB resulting in WHSB having more out of borough pupils. As the distance between the schools is not vast can anyone shine some light on why SHSB seems to be favoured when WHSB seems to have better results. :o :o

Would appreciate any comments especially as DS been offered place at WHSB which we eagerly accepted
EKK

Post by EKK »

Not quite sure about the exact cut off rank, but 220 would be in.
Cut off is definately not lower than 234.

They should have already been allocated a place at WHSB.
howlongtogo

Post by howlongtogo »

Hi, my DS is in catchment and also prefered SHSB. It is true what you say as the majority of the boys in his year who took the test put SHSB first and WHSB second. Some, didn't even put WHSB in their selection. I can't speak for everyone but my son prefered SHSB because he saw it as a more sporty school. I will probably be shot down in flames by parents of WHSB saying this isn't true, but it's just how he saw it when he went on the open evenings. He also felt WHSB was more 'academic' and expected more. He knows he is clearly going to have to work hard at SHSB but he felt the work and homework would be considerably more at WHSB. I don't know what gave him this impression, I just left the choice up to him. Having said this, if he had got WHSB he would have still been very happy and accepted the place! Hope this helps! :)
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Hi natnats,

I really wouldn't worry about the differences between SHSB and WHSB. As far as results go I believe there is very little in it. I have two sons at SHSB from out of Borough, they both preferred SHSB when we looked at the schools and both put it top of their list, they were both very lucky to have got a place and we are thrilled with it. One is extremely sporty and the other not so. Having said that I believe WHSB is also a fantastic school and had they not got their first choice and got a place there, I would have been over the moon. I have some very good friends who have boys at the school and they are all flourishing. Well done to your son and I am sure you will be thrilled with your choice of school! :D :D :D
natnats

Post by natnats »

Thanks Fran17 and notlongtogo.

I know there was not much difference in it and both are excellent schools its just that there seems to have been an overwhelming prefence by so many inborough children for SHSB I started to wonder if the local population knew something I didnt. Extremely happy that son got in to WHSB. We too looked around both schools and my son for a few days chose SHSB but reverted back to WHSB (which was always our choice for him). Cannot wait to go shopping for his new uniform. Think I am more excited than he is :D :D :D :D :D
natnats

Post by natnats »

Should have thanked howlongtogo NOT notlongtogo..................doh :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
natnats

Post by natnats »

Has anyone out there received any information regarding joining from WHSB. Apparently the girls school have already sent out welcome packs. I emailed the school around a week ago and they havent even replied :x :x

Maybe places are still being allocated??
mum of boys

Post by mum of boys »

Hi natnats,

My son is in year 7 at WHSB so I was in the same position this time last year. I rang the school and they told me that they don't send anything out until after Easter when they have the final list of which boys they are getting. I would assume that it will be the same this year too. Also, I have since discovered that they don't seem to respond to emails in the office. All communication from the school is by letter and if you need to know anything, it's best to phone!

Congratulations on your son getting a place - we are thrilled with the school and our son is really happy.

If there's anything else you need to know, just ask!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now