What to make of AS predicted grades

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

yvonne

What to make of AS predicted grades

Post by yvonne »

Hi
My child is in year 12 , and studying Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Design.
He plans to further his education at university-Engineering.
He has just received his predicted AS grades from school, and i am greatly disappointed with his predicted grades-BCCE.
The Teachers comments are that he is making huge progress , but none of this is reflected in the predicted grades.
i am concerned that if i dont do anything now , he will not achieve the A level grades required -AAAB.

Is this too ambitious based on predicted AS Grades?
What help can i offer to help attain the grades above?

Any help will be hugely appreciated.
ymcc
Looking for help

Re: What to make of AS predicted grades

Post by Looking for help »

Hi yvonne, I have a daughter in Y12 at the moment, and two who've left school now.
In y12 we were given three sets of grades to ponder....target grades, grades based on GCSE performance (aspirational, I think these were called) and grades such that if they carried on as they were going these would be the eventual results. I think the best were always the aspirational ones, followed by target and then abysmal ones based on effort to date.
In my experience, its always best to wait till after y12 has finished and the results of the AS grades are in before finally deciding which course/what university etc. By all means have a look around, etc but the final decision will become easier to make once you've actually got proper results to look at.
yvonne

Post by yvonne »

Thank you
i am really concerned that he may need additional help if the predicted grades are so weak.
i will also be contacting the school to discuss these grades

every feedback is highly appreciated
ymcc
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Has your DS doen any modules yet? Many of the year 12s did maths and chemistry (+ many others) in January and got the results in March - they at least can give a idea as to how the work is going and the possible grades for the summer?
yvonne

Post by yvonne »

@ hermanmunster
The mock exams were cancelled .
apart form class tests no other assessment has been done , to the best of my knowledge
ymcc
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

I am sure you know already but do remember that the AS and A2 grades are averaged out so that it is REALLY important to work as hard as possible for the AS modules because it makes life so much easier in year 13. DD for example only has to get 47% in her maths in the summer to get her A for her uni offer which is obviously more relaxing than it might have been.
In our experience the schools do not fully explain that you can rack up the marks in the easier AS modules and not have to do so well in the A2s.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

agreed MW - they can save a load of grief with good AS scores - in the same way nice feeling going into some GCSE last exams having to get v low scores to get and A*.

I suppose some of it has changed with having to get a 90 average in A2 to get an A*.

I have heard of quite a few having very sobering wake up calls when the results of the January AS modules came out in March... I suppose better then than August.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now