What would you do?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

2littleboys

What would you do?

Post by 2littleboys »

Hi.

I have got a 9 year old son who is in year 4 at our local state primary school-we are in Bucks.

We had his CATS results a few weeks ago which were overall 115. Do you know if this is a good or average score?

I think he is bright (ie he is very interested in the world around him and he loves reading) however I dont know if he is bright enough to pass the 11+ (ie he will do his homework in the minimum amount of time etc.)

Our local catchment Grammar school is Dr Challoners. I have just looked at their website and it seems an amazing school with fantastic results however because of this Im wondering if the boys are pushed very hard to acheive such results.

Our local (non-grammar) school has been graded "Outstanding" by OFSTED however I personally do not feel this school will suit my child for various reasons.

I also never wanted to go down the tutor route (I always thought you would pass the 11+ if you were bright enough). However having spoken to various friends I know that this is not always the case.

So should I be happy with my lot and let my son go to the local school (the one I dont like but after all it is him that would be going there) or should I push him into tutoring (he said he is happy to be tutored) to see if we can "aim" for the grammar school?

Any helpful advice/comments would be most appreciated.
scarlett

Re: What would you do?

Post by scarlett »

Hi, I don't live in your area, but hopefully someone will post you some more specific advice soon who does :)

I have a ds who is also in yr 4 and have a yr 6 boy who will be going to grammar in September. Your son sounds like both of mine who are reluctant to put in any effort but I know they have that extra something about them and are bright even if at times they don't seem particularly academic.If he loves reading, thats great and yr 4 is still quite early, I think to tell which way they are going....my ds1 wasn't thought " historically to be capable of passing the 11 plus " but did really well.They do need some tutoring, it isn't fair otherwise...you wouldn't attempt to pass your driving test without learning a few things, would you ?!

I'm afraid I'm not up on the cats , but I'm sure someone can advise you/ explain them. Have you tried any workbooks etc at home with your ds ? That might give you an idea where he is ?

Is the comp very unsuitable ? Sometimes it's best to look round and you may be pleasantly surprised ? However on the other hand there is nothing wrong with aiming high and wanting the very best....I think if you help and support your son, you should just go for it !

Probably not much help....just felt you needed at least one reply ! :)
2littleboys

Post by 2littleboys »

Thank you scarlett, that is a very helpful reply.

No I havent done any workbooks with him at home, I was hoping to leave all that to the tutor if that is what he/we decide. I do listen him to reading though and I read to him lots too.

I havent looked around the comp. I see the children from there most days as my sons current school is very near to it. Maybe I sound snobbish but the children I have seen have NOT been a good advertisement for it ie swearing, scruffy looking etc etc and I just cant bear the thought of him going there.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

If you can't bear the thought him of going there, then you have answered your own question. Aim high. Either get a tutor or go own the DIY route. People on your region forum will be able to advise you what areas are covered ie. Verbal,maths etc.
2littleboys

Post by 2littleboys »

Thanks pheasantchick, I think you may be right!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

We had his CATS results a few weeks ago which were overall 115. Do you know if this is a good or average score?
Average is 100, so it's clearly above average - but not necessarily grammar school standard.

CATs are a snapshot on a particular day, and it may not be easy to make a direct comparison with the 11+ (also a snapshot on a particular day! :roll:).

In your LA the 11+ is based on verbal reasoning only, so you should be looking at the VR rather than at the overall CAT score.

The qualifying mark in your local 11+ is 121, but the standardisation is tougher than that used for CATs. Ideally, therefore, one would like to see a CAT VR score that is at least a bit higher than 121 - but bear in mind that no individual test result is necessarily 100% reliable.
Etienne
2littleboys

Post by 2littleboys »

Thank you Etienne.

We were told that his VR score was 118.

Do you think tutoring could help and if so when would be the best time to start, and for how many sessions a week, price etc etc-you can tell I'm new to all this :D
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

From personal experience, I would say verbal reasoning definitely can be learned and therefore improve with practice. Reading lots of different types of books helps immensely as does word games etc.I think you will have to set aside a few hours to have a trawl through the different areas of this forum for advice etc !

I wouldn't feel despondent.As Etienne points out CATS are just one test ....have you a feeling your ds is bright and would therefore cope with the maths, literacy etc at a grammar ? It's no use tutoring to the max in VR just to get him through otherwise.From what I can gather you do think he is grammar material and I would stick to your guns and do your best for him.It is still early days...not all children can play chess by the age of 2, some might not click until yr 5 etc..this might give him an opportunity to really show what he is made of !

Re the tutoring.I don't know how much it costs etc...have you looked at the 11 plus tutor section on here ? A tutor may be able to assess your son and advise you of his suitability, I'm not sure because I diy with my ds1 and will do with ds2...there are lots of us gearing up for 2012...so you are in good company !! :)
2littleboys

Post by 2littleboys »

Thanks scarlett.

Yes I do have a feeling about my ds being grammar school material but maybe Im fooling myself! I just want to give him the best possible chance (as Im sure we all do for our children).

I will set aside some time to look through all other parts of this forum.

Hopefully I will have a better understanding when it is my other sons turn in a few years time.

Who knows? I might also be able to give advice then and not just ask for it :wink:
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

115 corresponds to top 15%, so the indications are that he ought to be suitable for grammar in Bucks where I believe they take the top 25%?

Mike