Appeal on non-qualification

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
slough mum

Appeal on non-qualification

Post by slough mum »

Hi Does anyone know or have had any experience on appealing against a non qualification and then being refused. But then contacting the GS directly and being offerred a place.

Is this possible or worth a try?

Thanks
chad

Re: Appeal on non-qualification

Post by chad »

I have heard of someone who didn't realise Slough Grammar was not in the Consortium and so didnt register for the exam......took the exam late and then was offered a place from the waiting list.
I have not known of a non-qual appeal being refused and then a place being awarded...... but can't say for certain it hasn't happened.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

It would be a very risky thing for a school to do this (flouting its own published admission arrangements).

Not surprisingly we never seem to get anyone coming on the forum, saying "Yes, I did that and it worked!".

But we do get the occasional "I know of a friend of a friend of someone else who did......" :)
Etienne
dutchy005

Post by dutchy005 »

I have no idea about this happening immediately after an appeal but it could possibly have a bearing once the waiting lists go. I have heard no stories about this and am talking totally on gut feel but I do think that sometimes you can strike a cord with a school at appeal and it is just possible that once the waiting lists go this could then pay off.

We appealed to two schools and after the first one the Presenting Officer, who had put a good case for the school but didn't seriously attack our case at all - and he could have done - came up to us and said he wished us well because "he sounds like a very interesting boy". We just felt he wouldn't be sobbing into his cocoa if our appeal was granted. Now that doesn't help you on the day but what about after the waiting lists go? At this points schools seem to be able to manage their own systems and while most grammars have some sort of open test they also have interviews etc so it is just possible that if you impressed them at appeal . . . . .

Anyway just thoughts on my part no evidence for any of it.
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

So is it best to wait until after the Easter break and then approach school directly?

Can you approach schools that were not on the CAF?
Alex

Post by Alex »

It is possible to be turned down at an oversubscription appeal and then subsequently to get a place off the waiting list. For a Grammar school which gives places on score order it is possible to appeal, be turned down, and then for the score to get down to the score achieved. However, it would be wrong of a school to give a place after a failed appeal if the child had not reached the minimum qualifying mark (if there was one). Schools should not, either, give places without an application being made through the LA - this would be so at any time not just within the normal admissions round (though that last bit could change very soon with the new draft Admissions Code about to be published).

Having said that, there are very few real "teeth" when it comes to policing schools which break some of these rules. A school I know well regularly offered places over its PAN directly to applicants, much to the annoyance of the LA and neighbouring schools, but there was very little anyone could do as it is very hard to withdraw places once they have been offered and the school was clearly not bothered by the "raps on the knuckles" issued from the powers that be in local and central government.

If you approach schools that were not on your CAF the school should tell you to make an application through the LA.....
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

Alex can you make an application after the closing date and allocation day? As in a late application?
Alex

Post by Alex »

You certainly can in the authorities with which I am familiar. I looked at the Slough Admissions booklet and it does not refer to applications after the allocation date, but does talk about late changes of preference. I would call or e-mail the admissions department and ask to make a new application. LAs have to co-ordinate admissions up until the start of the new school year and they will certainly be dealing with new applications from people who move into the area all the time.

You have to be careful with making new or "revised" applications as you effectively cancel out your original application so need to include on your preferences any school on your original list for which you are intending to appeal or for which you wish to remain on the waiting list - your admissions department or choice adviser should be able to advise you on your particular circumstances.

I would not rule out approaching the school directly to ask if there is anything else you can do to try and get a place. You will probably get a standard answer but you may get some good advice or information.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Slough mum...having been in the situation 2 years ago, I would be very surprised and upset should it be discovered that someone who had not passed a slough consortium test managed to get themselves a place at a Slough grammar school outwith the official appeals route. If you have any reason to believe this has happened or may have happened, please share as I think someone in authority should be aware that this is going on....perhaps the Slough Borough Council Admissions forum, if not the schools adjudicator. I would not hesitate to pass such info on to the relevant bodies, if I were you, as it is against the rules. There are many people in that situation, desperate for a place, and not getting one...there are many who have actually passed yet have been denied a place due to oversubscription.

Edited to say... the consortium refuse to retest anyone who has failed to reach the qualifying mark at 11+ anyone who is of statutory school age, ....I have been told this by the headmaster of a consortium school.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Looking for help wrote:...having been in the situation 2 years ago, I would be very surprised and upset should it be discovered that someone who had not passed a slough consortium test managed to get themselves a place at a Slough grammar school outwith the official appeals route. ....... There are many people in that situation, desperate for a place, and not getting one...there are many who have actually passed yet have been denied a place due to oversubscription.
This is partly what I had in mind, LFH, when I wrote that it would be very risky if a school were to do such a thing.

I'm drawing a clear distinction here between (a) admitting an unqualified child, and (b) the case Alex refers to above about a school going over PAN (where I trust the children concerned were at the top of the waiting list).

I'm also talking specifically about the admission of an unqualified child in breach of the published admission arrangements, not a routine adjustment in the score required for entry under the oversubscription criteria.

Admitting an unqualified child - if it were to come to light - would cause justifiable outrage on the part of other parents who have the not unreasonable expectation that the system is being administered fairly, and that the same rules apply to everyone.

To answer the OP's question very directly, we have no evidence that this sort of thing has ever happened, and it may well belong to a 'Myths & Legends' section, but as Alex has clearly stated "It would be wrong of a school to give a place after a failed appeal if the child had not reached the minimum qualifying mark (if there was one)". If something is wrong, this forum cannot encourage or condone it.
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now