How widespread is cheating : why such a low priority?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sassie'sDad

How widespread is cheating : why such a low priority?

Post by Sassie'sDad »

As the quoted artical makes clear plagarisum is widely under reported. Universities have claimed they are on top of the situation (which I very much doubt) but we have heard remarkably little from Government. Mr Willets would do well to make this his priority rather than hare brained and ill thought through scheems for widening access.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/ed ... rsity.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
magwich2

Re: How widespread is cheating : why such a low priority?

Post by magwich2 »

It is not just the widespread plaigarism but the gerrymandering of marks by staff at the behest of departmental heads as well.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Ooooh " gerrymandering" It sounds like a shot at dawn offence ...but I've just looked it up so thanks for expanding my vocabulary today, Magwich2 !
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

scarlett wrote:Ooooh " gerrymandering" It sounds like a shot at dawn offence ...
Definitely the sort of thing naughty French women did with the occupying German forces. :D :oops: :D

When I was up at Oxford in the early '90s (I was in the same circle of friends as the article's whistle-blower, Prof. Nick Bamforth 8) ) it was generally understood that a certain amount of cheating went on. Some of the people there were super rich and super priviledged and really did expect to be able to buy anything they wanted - including a degree. Cheating was, however, the exception rather than the rule and none of us would have wanted it splashed across the papers because it would have discredited the qualifications we were all working so hard for.

Maybe now that everyone is going to be paying top prices for top quality education more will be done to get the Universities to clean up their act - it would be one good thing to come out of the rotten tuition fees situation. :evil:
R3ad1ngDad

Post by R3ad1ngDad »

or people will think that having paid so much they deserve a top grade so will do whatever it takes
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Given that Leeds Metropolitan are charging £8500 per annum now, do folk really think that just by paying top dollar, you're getting the best degree?

Not likely, in my view. The cost is immaterial except in so far as you have to pay for it, they are all charging nearly the same, whether you go to Oxford , Reading or Leeds Met.
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

No indeed but my daughter in Year eight has already decided that she might as well set her sights on USA and Ivy League universities as Oxbridge her original goal because, a she is not going to lower her personal standards and b she is not prepared to pay a premium to be a fall guy!
3pink

Post by 3pink »

Sassie'sDad wrote:No indeed but my daughter in Year eight has already decided that she might as well set her sights on USA and Ivy League universities as Oxbridge her original goal because, a she is not going to lower her personal standards and b she is not prepared to pay a premium to be a fall guy!
Good for her, I have to say I pushing mine towards Australia or the USA if you're going to be in debt at least get a tan and a nicer quality of life at the same time as seeing a bit of the world, pick up your degree at the end of it all.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

At $37,500 per year for an Ivy League university, it's not really an option for most people though.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

we had people moaning and groaning about their degrees etc when the fees initially came in - felt they should do "better" as they were "paying".

Going to be interesting looking at the numbers of applications in the autumn as the first year with higher fees. Having been to look round a few unis, cost seems to be the main thing. Parents are buttonholing people about the cost of everything on site... breakfast, buses etc etc etc . Sadly, I think more will go to local universities and live at home. No fun in that.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now