PARTS OF SPEECH

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11+ novice

PARTS OF SPEECH

Post by 11+ novice »

What is the best way to teach DC parts of speech? If you ask my DS to define all the parts of speech i.e. verbs, adjectives, nouns etc he will clearly tell me that he understands the definition well. He is fine to identify the verb, noun or adjective when the sentences is simple but when we get to the higher 11+ level both of us struggle to find the appropriate answer.
The most difficult part of speech we find is, identifying abstract noun.

Is it just me who has difficulty in doing this or are there others who have the same problem! Any suggestions on how to improve on this! Is there any way we can practise these other than the question papers?

Any suggestions or help very much appreciated.
ourmaminhavana

Re: PARTS OF SPEECH

Post by ourmaminhavana »

You can teach verbs by getting the pupils to write a couple of sentences without using any. It's enjoyable as it's complete nonsense. eg I my breakfast of Coco Pops and toast later my teeth before skirt over my head etc
I think you could teach abstract nouns by a sort of I Spy/Talking Heads eg finding lots of adjectives to describe it and then guessing/revealing what it is.
You can also use colours, pictures and symbols to replace a certain part of speech. This also works well with punctuation (but not as good as sound punctuation! :lol: )
KS10

Post by KS10 »

A German teacher at my school says that if you can put a or the in front of the word it's a noun (assuming they can tell the difference between an adjective and a noun) and that an abstract noun is one that can't necessarily be seen or touched.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
11+ novice

Post by 11+ novice »

Thanks everyone for the response, I have now purchased a whole load of grammar books so that both DS and me are very clear on all the parts of speech!
ourmaminhavana, I like your suggestion of making sentences without verbs, that's been really helpful.

Thanks.