Appeal Query - Kent

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Brenda Jean

Appeal Query - Kent

Post by Brenda Jean »

Hi all,
Just wondered if anyone could let me know if the appeal panel are aware if you have put them first on your CAF or not?
If so, would they treat you differently if you actually put them second, but got allocated your third choice, but not your first.
Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.
T12ACY

Re: Appeal Query - Kent

Post by T12ACY »

Am here to break the silence!

I attended 2 LA appeal hearings where the CAF preferences were not known, or indeed not even asked about. Cannot comment on hearings arranged by the school themselves, they may be interested in where on the form you placed them but couldn't say either way. Someone else may be able to answer that one.
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I would not be happy if an appeal panel were giving weight to where a school was placed on the CAF, but cannot guarantee that it never happens.

I would have thought that foundation schools running their own appeals are less likely to know about the CAF.

You will get exactly the same papers as the appeal panel and the presenting officer a week or so before the hearing, so you will be able to see whether any information about preferences is included.
Etienne
jingle

Post by jingle »

At our appeal (LA organised for foundation School in Kent) The panel were definitely not aware of our CAF order or even other choices apart from the fact that the school we were appealing for was on there somewhere.
rubyhettybetty

Post by rubyhettybetty »

Etienne wrote:I would not be happy if an appeal panel were giving weight to where a school was placed on the CAF, but cannot guarantee that it never happens.

I would have thought that foundation schools running their own appeals are less likely to know about the CAF.

You will get exactly the same papers as the appeal panel and the presenting officer a week or so before the hearing, so you will be able to see whether any information about preferences is included.
Why not, Etienne? I certainly am going to make sure the panel know it was our 1st choice, and I think we should get preference over other appellants who didn't put the school as first choice!!!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Why not, Etienne?
When Brenda Jean filled in her CAF, she was taking part in what was meant to be an 'equal preference system' - and that is why I do not think she or anyone else should be penalised at appeal for having originally placed a school second rather than first.

Each school listed on a CAF was meant to receive equal consideration (with no advantage for being first, and no disadvantage for being last). The only reason for asking you to rank schools was simply to sort out which school you should be offered in the event of your being eligible for a place at more than one school.
I think we should get preference over other appellants who didn't put the school as first choice!!!
Dream on! :lol:
I have to say that I have never - ever - heard of any panel actually allowing appeals on this basis!

However, it is a good idea to appear enthusiastic, and it will certainly do no harm to say "This school was our first preference, and our child is desperately keen to go there!"

Just remember that, at the 'balancing stage', the panel will be focusing on your specific reasons for wanting a place.
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now