Tutoring for GCSE:which are the best names and when to book?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

QUEENMA

Tutoring for GCSE:which are the best names and when to book?

Post by QUEENMA »

Hi all

I don't know how to pose this question or even what is a correct question to ask.However having been told that I was too late to enrol with some of the best tutors for my dd's 11 plus ( and I started looking when she was in year 4 ! ) Iam now thinking whether I need to start looking now for GCSE ?(she is now in year 5)

I believe we will be looking at English,Maths and Science - do they teach subject wise or is it all rolled in one ? Can people please pm me if names cannot be taken on the forum ?

Regards
Queenma
aliportico

Re: Tutoring for GCSE:which are the best names and when to b

Post by aliportico »

Why don't you just wait until nearer the time and see whether she actually *needs* a tutor?
guest43

Post by guest43 »

This is an early April Fool. Right?
copella

Post by copella »

I know I laughed when I read this. The child is in Y4, nowhere near GCSE's, with no idea what subjects they will opt for or what they will be good at, etc, etc, etc. :lol:
sp

Post by sp »

I didn't reply earlier as I was shocked into silence (a miracle if you knew me!)

Hoping this post is a joke but if it's not, surely if the child is going to grammar (still presumably not certain?!) then they shouldn't need tutoring to get through GCSEs? If child does need it, then they probably shouldn't be going to a grammar.

Can't think of any thing else remotely sensible on this topic and I'll try not to look at it again.
QUEENMA

Post by QUEENMA »

Dear All

I am glad that my post has received the responses it has ! Trust me, I would have reacted in a similar fashion a few years earlier but having been caught up in the 11plus sunami has made me think about the future well in advance.
I dont want to open debates about tutoring being appropriate or not...but those who live in some of the competitive parts of 11 plus , will know what I mean about 11 plus tutors being booked when the child enters reception ! ( and this is not April Fools - I have had one very highly recommended tutor tell me this on a one to one basis) Again I dont want to start talking about whether if children need tutoring they should be getting into 11 plus - everyone knows that happens and is the truth !

Queenma
guest43

Post by guest43 »

A bright child in a good school should not need tutoring. The school should provide everything you need for your child to get the best results they are capable of. If you find a school where many children also receive basic tuition out of school then I would choose a different school.
si155

Post by si155 »

can anyone rcommend excellent gcse tutor in solihull. my son missed out on his 11+ exam. tutored him too late, found out later every child got tutoring at year 2. i will not make the same mistake with jhis gcses. i have let hi down . wont do that again. please help.
SN

Post by SN »

Most children in Private schools and Grammar Schools are being tutored for GCSE from year 8 onwards. I cant believe this is happening. Should they be taken out and sent to another schools as stated in one of the posts :?:
sp

Post by sp »

I have a DS in year 11 at a GS and DD in year 8 at an Indie. As far as I know (and I am aware some parents and children would not say if they were using a tutor) none o9f their friends attend tutoring. If the child has achieved the standard required at 11 then, by and large, they should not need tutoring at GCSE level.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now