cloze worksheets

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
auricula

cloze worksheets

Post by auricula »

Hi all, I have finished my 11+ journey (thankfully), however I have just come across a website that may prove useful for those of you that are still to walk the long mile!

It is http://www.tut-world.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It has free comprehension and cloze worksheets, which I know from when I was looking, are quite hard to come by.

Hope it helps.

Ax
JaneEyre

Re: cloze worksheets

Post by JaneEyre »

A big thank you to both of you!!! It is some time consuming to create anything by ourselves...
Already two months that I want to create a close test and present it to my DS... and I still have done nothing :cry: !!
So I am very grateful for any good link! :D
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

A while back, KenR sent a link about how to make up your own cloze tests and it was really easy to do:

http://www.oup.com/elt/global/products/ ... ools/elem/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It allows you to type in your selected text (from broadsheets, magazines, novels, textbooks etc).
Once you select your 'cloze' words, they blank it out for you and number each one. If you wish to format it to KE style, copy n' paste the whole piece onto word or publisher. For each cloze word, fit in a table that has (1 row x no. of letters in the cloze word for the number of columns) instead of using their original format.

It just means that rather than the entire word being blank, you can select 2 or 3 letters in the word (and blank out those). This is similar to the KE exam style atm.

Choose words that are common spelling errors, test good reading skills and a flair for language.

E.g. n_ _ _hbour
The clouds l_ _med omniously over the city that day.

Anyhow, the online resource works really well and not at all time consuming or laborious as it can be when making them up from scratch :roll:
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

OK, thanks for your explanations, DIYmum. :wink:
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi DIYMum

Thanks for the update - can you enlighten us how the letter options for completing the cloze are presented to the candidates? I've never quite understood how this works in a real paper. Also do they have to write the letter manually in a space or mark something like a radar button?
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

To KenR, the cloze layout is very similar to the sample sheet provided after registration. My understanding is that the children write on the exam paper (manually). There is no extra booklet to write in the answers separately as there are with other exams e.g. Nfer. But they'll always change the style to maintain that the exam is tutor proof... five years ago, wasn't there a separate booklet for the proof-reading exercise? Fm ??

Re: layout. Cell boxes are used to separate each letter of the cloze word not the other text. I know, I'm not explaining it very well, so I've enclosed a small sample 'cloze' exercise that I did for my dd (my choice of cloze words in this exercise addressed her particular weaknesses- DPs would need to identify which words are more suitable for their dc) .

Language linked to advances in Tool making

Stone-age humans mastered the art of elegant hand-toolmaking in an
(1) [ ][ ][ ][l][t][ ][ ][n][a][r][y] advance that boosted their brain power and potentially paved the way for language, (2) [r][e][ ][ ][r][c][h][e][r] say.

The design of stone tools changed(3) [d][r][a][ ][ ][ ][c][a][l][l][y] in human pre-history, beginning more than 2 million years ago with (4) [p][r][ ][ ][ ][t][v][e] stone flakes and culminating in finely honed
(5) [h][ ][n][ ] axes 500,000 years ago. The development of sophisticated stone tools is seen as a key moment in (6) [h][ ][ ][ ][n] evolution as it set the stage for better nutrition and advanced social
(7) [e][h][a][ ][ ][ ][r] .

The boxes don't turn out well on here but as long as the gist is clear. :)

Just to add...keep plugging away with the cloze tests. I really don't think it's a waste of time making them up. You'll get better at it and so will your dc. Those who are proficient readers will sail through the exercises and those who aren't will eventually get the hang of it.
poppit

Post by poppit »

Thanks the links are great.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now