MFL key stage 3 websites

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tiredmum

MFL key stage 3 websites

Post by tiredmum »

Anybody know of a good website or books that cover modern foreign languages in key stage 3?
My dd is finding the spelling and grammar difficult. I need something for her where she can practice little and often.
Any ideas appreciated. Mainly spainish :)
ourmaminhavana

Re: MFL key stage 3 websites

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Coincidentally we've just come back from my DS's Parents' Evening and his French teacher suggested a couple of websites, one of which is subscription only, but one of which is free:

http://www.languagesonline.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (free)
http://www.atantot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (subscription)

There's also a magazine Allons-y which has its own website.
I hope this helps.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Oh thank you for replying so quickly, i will check them out - its good to have things recommended from the school too :)
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Happy to help tiredmum. (Your moniker is how I feel :lol: ) It was such a coincidence that I'd literally just been given them! It was good for us too, because my son rushed onto the sites to check them out as I was writing about them. :)
KS10

Post by KS10 »

A lot of schools subscribe to these websites and give the pupils the username and password. Our school uses both mentioned by ourmam as well as linguascope. Your DD should ask her school if they subscribe.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

KS10 wrote:A lot of schools subscribe to these websites and give the pupils the username and password. Our school uses both mentioned by ourmam as well as linguascope. Your DD should ask her school if they subscribe.
Thanks i have an open day coming up so will ask then - i know she has been told to use the languagesonline one, but i was wanting something a bit more fun too.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Have sent you a pm, tm.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

KS10 wrote:Have sent you a pm, tm.
Thanks for that.
Have just had a look at linguascope it looks fun but also repetative enough for dd to learn from the games. Am going to ask the school if they subscribe. :)
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Got dd's assessment grades today. She isn't doing as badly as i thought in the MFL's, spainish was a B/C but french was an A so am pleased. However, am going to make use of the sites mentioned, she seems keen to try. Thank you both for your help :)