opinions on QE and WB

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Papadontpreach

opinions on QE and WB

Post by Papadontpreach »

My wife and I have been very concerned by some of the things being said about QE on other sites from parents and students both past and present. While there is never a question about the school's academic excellence there does appear to be a rather unsettling undercurrent about over-bearing (bordering on bullying) staff members. My son already has a place at Watford Grammar (WG) and is intent on going. Although WG would appear to offer a more nurturing environment, we believe he would achieve more at QE. Has any one else wrestled with this dilemma? Would be most grateful for your thoughts.
KS10

Re: QE boys waiting list 2011

Post by KS10 »

I don't know about overbearing staff, but we decided that QE might not suit DS's personality, so opted for Parmiter's instead. There were other reasons too, but nothing linked to your particular concerns.
Papadontpreach

Re: QE boys waiting list 2011

Post by Papadontpreach »

Thanks KS10.

Our DS scored 342, 11= on waiting list so we're cautiously hopeful of an offer.

To put things in balance there have been some really good things reported back on QE also. We're fairly confident that QE will be good for him as he prefers to make do with minimum effort so the school's discipline and focus will strengthen his character and bring forward that motivation we know he is capable of (we've seen it on various occasions when he's enjoyed and engaged with an activity). Yes, WGBS could do the same for him and he would be happy there from the get go because his 2 best friends will be with him. But we've got that niggling doubt about teachers efforts being focused on those less able and letting our son coast it.

I think our minds are pretty much made up for QE but you always worry until they've completed their first term/year and they're still happy about whether you made the right choice.

If anyone has experience of both schools and can pitch in please do.
acs181

Re: opinions on QE and WB

Post by acs181 »

Papadontpreach What sort of things have you read from other site?

Please include links if possible.

Thanks
Papadontpreach

Post by Papadontpreach »

Here's the one that was the greatest cause for concern:

Link removed by a moderator
lara228

Post by lara228 »

With regards to QEB, I'm in the midst of tutoring my DS with the sincere hope he will get in for 2012 entry.

My 22 year old step-son went to QEB and I can only say that he and all his friends have turned out as lovely young men that any of the top independent schools would be proud of.

QE is strict and you have to be prepared to do things 'their way' - having said that, 2 other ex-pupils I know are pursuing very 'alternative' careers in the music/entertainment industry but have the academic safety net that QE and good university degrees provide.

I challenge you to find a pupil or parent of any school who hasn't got a gripe with at least one teacher or member of the support staff - I went to a top independent school and could right a book about the hopeless and downright cruel teachers I came across, starting with the headmistress! You should be careful about reading to much into anonymous and potentially liabellous comments made on obscure websites - in this day and age if a pupil or parent has real concerns and proof of wrongdoing there are official channels to go down - the link you provided seems like a lot of sour grapes to me - someone perhaps who thought their child was a genius and yet who QEB thinks otherwise??
yogkruti

Post by yogkruti »

Its also not uncommon to hear "things" about schools during waiting list allocation/movement time :wink:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

yogkruti wrote:Its also not uncommon to hear "things" about schools during waiting list allocation/movement time :wink:

agreed lots of discussions on this forum in previous years about the school (and others) - often based on a few people posting odd stories on fora.
Chilled

Post by Chilled »

If I was in this situation I would first and foremost consider which one my DS prefers and why. Then I'd take into account my own opinions about each school and how well I think it would suit my DS. How easy it is to get to/from school is also really important and how close new friends are likely to live. Don't worry about what other people say about it, all that is important is how your DS will do there. I know parents of boys who go to QE who are very happy with it and one boy who left after a term because he hated it. Even though we live within walking distance, QEB was our 2nd choice of state school last year because DS preferred DAO and after nearly 2 terms there I can definitely say I think he made the right choice for him.

You say that your DS is intent on going to WGSB, what does he feel about QEB? Is he going to hate you if you make him go there rather than WGSB?

We weren't in the right area for WGSB so didn't even bother to look at it but if we had been the fact that it teaches Classics would have been a big plus for me.
Sportsmum

Post by Sportsmum »

Have been up to QEB we really didn't like the feeling there. Added to which they "don't like losers" - a quote from a senior member of QEB staff who did not like the applause given to boys coming third in sporting events.

WGSB work them hard, play hard and FOR ME and MY SONS had a much nicer atmosphere.

School selection is a personal choice - horses for courses - etc. If your son prefers WGSB let him go there. When boys in set 6 maths still come out with A grades for their GCSEs you know they're doing something right - especially when the school is only partially selective!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now