independent schools for non-sporty child?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
RabbitWife

independent schools for non-sporty child?

Post by RabbitWife »

Hi, I'm looking for what schools would be a good fit for a girl who is bright (though I won't call her gifted), hard-working, but not sporty at all? She's self-confidet but I know she won't enjoy somewhere that's too competitive or where there's social pressure to conform. Ideally somewhere with relatively easy commute from Hertsmere/NW London.

She also has a younger brother who's similarly bright (probably much brighter) but also non-sporty type and rather small in physique for his age. What schools would put not too much emphasis on sports? (Saturday compulsory sports would be a total turnoff for us).
Waiting_For_Godot

Re: independent schools for non-sporty child?

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

There are very few independent schools that wouldn't suit a non-sporty child. Plenty of children are non-sporty.
RabbitWife

Post by RabbitWife »

But are there some schools that have more emphasis on sports than the others? Like where everyone is expected to participate in extracurricular sports activities?
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

I wouldn't right off your children being non-sporty forever though. OH and I were both that way in primary school and we were below average up until the third year of secondary school. I'm not sure what happened but I developed a flair and talent for long distance running and hockey. OH was similar and he says he was just like DS1 who is the most unsporty boy I have ever come across.

Anyway the best thing you could do is opt for a very large school. That way DD may be in the F's or G's and as very few schools have the pupils for such teams then matches would be less likely.
jn316

Post by jn316 »

RabbitWife wrote:But are there some schools that have more emphasis on sports than the others? Like where everyone is expected to participate in extracurricular sports activities?
One main reason Indies offer a variety of sports is for the children to find something to enjoy and develop in when normally the opportunity would never arise.

My DS is not sporty BUT since joining his Indie school, he now enjoys a bit of water polo. He swims and he is tall. That proved to be an interesting combination for him. He's no medal winner or anything but it was a nice addition to his weekly work. Something he never would have undertaken outside of the school.

So, don't be discouraged by the plethora of sports your non-sporty child may get to try at an Indie school.
doodles

Post by doodles »

jn316 wrote:
RabbitWife wrote:So, don't be discouraged by the plethora of sports your non-sporty child may get to try at an Indie school.
That's just it, the chance to try all sorts of different things, anything from fencing to sailing. Many DC get classed as "not sporty" just because they don't enjoy the mainstream primary sports such as football, cricket, rugby etc etc.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now