Transport from Tewkesbury to Sir Thomas Rich's

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MadameGazelle

Transport from Tewkesbury to Sir Thomas Rich's

Post by MadameGazelle »

For all those who are trying to work out how on earth you are going to transport your beloved DS from Tewkesbury to Tommies, please come along for a drink and a brain storm at the Gupshill pub in Tewkesbury at 7.00pm on 21st April. As you will probably have worked out by now, there is no direct commercial bus service available for this route. The idea of the meet-up is to get parents of current and future Tommies students together so that we can exchange ideas on transport options available. There is now an opportunity to arrange a minibus from Tewkesbury if there are sufficient numbers. At worst, this would be an opportunity to work out car share opportunities. Hope to see you all there.
Milla

Re: Transport from Tewkesbury to Sir Thomas Rich's

Post by Milla »

Does the school know, MG, so that you can be sure of reaching as many current parents as possible? Is there some way they could spread the word amongst interested parents?
tewksmumoftwo

Post by tewksmumoftwo »

My DS is off to Crypt and we are using the minibus from racecourse to crypt/ribston - it's through Express Travel in Gloucester "bobs bus" and they seem to have many mini bus services they can offer. Might be worth an enquiry? If you do get one sorted from Tewkesbury, I wonder if they'd extend our bus to Tewks too?!!
MadameGazelle

Post by MadameGazelle »

Yes Milla, the school has kindly forwarded my details to those who may be in the same boat. I thought I'd also post on here just in case there's anybody hiding! It also occurred to me that anyone trying to get from Tewkesbury to the High School for Girls may also be interested, as its not far from Tommies?

Thanks for the tip tewksmumoftwo - I will give Express Travel a call. I have tried a couple of other coach companies but they seem to be relucant to fully commit at this stage :?
Milla

Post by Milla »

it's certainly not that far for you lot, whip along the A38.
A group here tried to - well, the past is littered with the corpses of those who've tried - interest the companies in coming through the villages north of Cheltenham. Marchants manages it well for Pates, but despite there being lots of interest scattered around for Tommy's / DRd, nothing came of it. So ... everyone gets in their cars in the morning and dashes for the race course. Annoying not to be able to get a bus co interested. They wanted SO much more money without providing a tailored enough service (ie would still have to get in cars and just chase a different drop off / pick off point) that wasn't worth it.
Good luck with your enterprise!
Phelpst

Post by Phelpst »

Bennetts run a bus DR8 from Tewkesbury to Denmark Road, and it seems kids can transfer onto a Colefordian bus for onward journeys to Tommies, Crypt and Ribston. Same thing happens in the afternoon Colefordian pick up from the other 3 schools and take back to Denmark Road and then the kids get onto their own buses. See it everyday.
jimi123

Post by jimi123 »

Can I be nosey and ask what came of your meeting at the Gupshill, I only just read about it.

As for the suggestion of the 2 buses, it seems that the Bennetts bus arrives at Denmark Road at 08.29, the Colefordian bus leaves DR shortly after arriving at 08.10 so perhaps timetables have changed?
CandyCat

Post by CandyCat »

The meet up at the Gupshill was really useful. Bennetts are now considering putting on a bus service directly from Tewkesbury (possibly from The Crescent?) to Sir Thomas Rich's, but this is obviously dependant on how many people use the service. If you (or anybody you know) would find the service useful, please do register your interest by emailing paul.oconnor@bennettscoaches.co.uk. For those of you with DS's already at Tommies who are currently using taxis or car sharing etc, you may want to consider this as a cheaper option?!
jimi123

Post by jimi123 »

Many thanks for the feedback, sounds promising. I will contact Bennetts as well. Shame that the Denmark Road bus doesn't leave Tewkesbury a little earlier and drive the extra 4 minutes to Tommies, maybe that bus is full already.
mcs

Post by mcs »

Tommies never passed on your details to me Madamegazelle. Thanks for this, I will register my interest.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now